Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Old Singer sewing machine

This thing is older then me about 50 years old.. anyways I got in a discussion about the foot pedal switch, she says it's variable speed I say it's not..

Some people online say it's variable.. but the thing is I opened the pedal up last night and you can clearly see that half the travel it's not doing anything until the switch contacts this metal switch, being this old I've never seen a switch this old.. but maybe something broke on it?

I ended up replacing the cord end last night to see if it ran or not, I will get a video up to help show what I mean

Btw the model of it is 328K

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

I remember my mom had an old Singer sewing machine back in the 60's and it was indeed variable speed controlled by the pedal. That's not to say that some cheaper models may have simply used a footswitch instead of a pot.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Subaru

Mod

to Subaru
I grew up around sewing machines as both my mother and grandmother loved sewing. Every machine I have seen or worked on were variable speed including the really old ones (Singers older than yours included).

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Another vote for variable

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Manual says so but the switch is not right... Have a look right now I'm piling it now.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· a_player

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Is that white part ceramic?

If it is, it means heat and probably a variable resistor on a universal motor.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to Subaru

Anon

to Subaru
I know how to end any debate on the subject. Singer allows you to order product manuals for all of their machines online.

»www.singerco.com/accesso ··· -manuals

They want your money for it but I wasn't able to find any links to free ones on Google.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Yes, I must of forgot to say that in the video.. first one came out wrong

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Given the technology of the time I think it's a variable resistor in series with the motor. I remember the singers working but I don't remember ever taking one apart.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to Subaru

Mod

to Subaru
I can't see the pics on my iPad but I think this will give you the basic information you need.

»oldsingersewingmachinebl ··· bout-it/

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
The inside of the foot controller was not how I expected but given 1968 I guess it's about right.

I think my above video shows that it has a huge dead space between a half press to fully pressing it down.. that's the part I don't understand hopefully google will have something about that.

It is fully oiled so it no longer slows down when doing zigzag stitches.. I'm going to be getting my mom a Brother SE400 for her birthday so this is just a fun little thing to work on now.
Subaru

Subaru to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

I can't see the pics on my iPad but I think this will give you the basic information you need.

»oldsingersewingmachinebl ··· bout-it/

Hmm this one does not have that cap like the pictures show.. hmm..

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I think what Robbin showed is what I said.

Keep in mind that typically you has to give it more than you wanted to get it going and then back off to the slower speed. Just a phenomena of the motor control.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

That's not what happens here.. once my phone is done uploading to youtube I will show you..

It has no in between at all It's just full speed or nothing at all, so the way you are saying does not work here

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

That machine should move the needle as slow as you want it to go.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It should but from what I can see inside the ceramic part are carbon discs which when fully pressing the switch disengages the carbon discs so it can run full speed.

shdesigns