R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Gmail, Outlook 2007, and IMAP....

I recently changed my Gmail password. Then Outlook would not connect to Gmail without me having to click OK on the dialog box asking me to confirm my password. I had already corrected / updated the Gmail Account password within Outlook, so I was a little annoyed at having to keep clicking OK to get my email every time. The password behind the stars was correct, I was just being forced to tell Outlook that is was OK!!

So I had a brilliant idea. Delete the Gmail account in Outlook and create a new one. So I did. And I followed some advice I found on Gmail.com on how to set my Gmail account. I remember it required special settings for ports and the like. Well, that page also told me to chose IMAP. That seems to be a mistake. That creates a separate "IMAP Root Store" - or Folder - Outlook that is separate from Personal Folders Inbox!! It then downloaded 9000 email messages to this Root Store - the vast, vast majority of which were duplicates.

OK, so I don't make another stupid mistake, how can I delete the IMAP Root Store and recreate what I had before?? (Gmail linking directly into my Personal Folders Inbox).

THANK YOU FOR HUMORING ME!!
R2

R2

MVM

OK, duh. I just deleted the IMAP one and in created a POP3 one - and all is well. The password even works!

Nothing special. Just frustration!
R2

R2

MVM

Ugghh! Back to the same thing. Yes I re-entered the Gmail account and it works - except Outlook is still asking for me to confirm the password EACH time I connect. The password IS correct and all I have to do is hit the OK button - but WHY is Outlook making me do this extra step?? I never saw the before.

Anyone know the answer??? Thanks.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit

Kramer

Mod

I'd read this over.
»support.microsoft.com/?id=290684

My short reading of it which could be erroneous leads me to think it might be somewhat backwards. If it is an add-in, why not explore that first before going though the trouble?

You could try this quick fix, regardless of whether you use Vista. It may still be appropriate, but why doesn't MS mention it when they are obviously thinking it is an issue with the protected storage folder? I think I'd be inclined to stick with the official solution.
»www.howtogeek.com/howto/ ··· n-vista/

I'd stick to IMAP with GMail if you haven't already downloaded all your mail and removed it from the GMail servers. With IMAP you have one-one parity between what is in your Outlook account and your GMail account. Should your data file become corrupt, you can just delete it and start over again in a few minutes. Let GMail store your data as they are very generous.

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thanks. I will try that later. I never got used to IMAP and I have multiple email addresses feed into the same Outlook profile. If I use IMAP with Gmail then it keeps that one separate from on the rest....