spc
uniqs

SkidR0we
@videotron.ca

SkidR0we to GuiGQc

Anon

to GuiGQc

Re: [Eng] Videotron 4G speeds and SGS3

I just chatted with videotron, and after speaking with his senior technical advisor, the guy was able to give me a satisfactory answer.

Basically, he said that my phone *IS* connected to their 3G+ network or 4G if you will, but that the Galaxy S3 is not able to show on its screen that it is in fact connected to 4G, so it just shows 3G H+. However, he said that after xmas their network is going to be LTE, and that I should be getting 42 mbps instead of 6-12 which is what he says is normal for now.

Are any of you on videotron? What kinds of download speeds are you getting?
GuiGQc
join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

42Mbps is 4G speed, not LTE. LTE is 75, and soon will be 150 Mbps.

I'm not with Vidéotron, so I don't know whta kind of bloatware they installed on it to hide the network it's on, but mine says 4G in the notification bar when it's on HSPA+, and LTE when it's on LTE. It even says E (Edge) when on GSM.
LEKO
join:2010-09-28
Blainville, QC

LEKO to SkidR0we

to SkidR0we
In the wireless/cellular world there is 2 thing: theorical speed and actual speed.

Theory:
"3G" up to 21Mbps
"4G" up to 42Mbps (2 carriers = 2 x 21 Mbps)
"LTE" up to 300Mbps

But even in labs, the theoretical speed is hard to achieve. In practice, we see lower numbers. Also, no one can have the exact same speed. Signal quality can vary a lot with temperature too...

To answer your question: my D/L speed varies from a couple of Kbps to a couple of Mbps depending on where I am and the condition (I have a Galaxy Nexus).

If your home I well covered, you should expect at least 1Mbps. Actually, I would call to report poor signal if I had low speed at home or at a place where I should receive a strong/good signal (shopping center, cinemas, public buildings, etc...).
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

said by LEKO:

I would call to report poor signal if I had low speed at home

Or just conenct to Wifi and save battery.

SkidR0we
@videotron.ca

SkidR0we to LEKO

Anon

to LEKO
said by LEKO:

To answer your question: my D/L speed varies from a couple of Kbps to a couple of Mbps depending on where I am and the condition (I have a Galaxy Nexus).

If your home I well covered, you should expect at least 1Mbps. Actually, I would call to report poor signal if I had low speed at home or at a place where I should receive a strong/good signal (shopping center, cinemas, public buildings, etc...).

I guess I shouldn't complain then, because I average about 6mbps.

Seeing as Videotron is upgrading their network to LTE, will my phone be compatible or is it a new technology that I'll have to get a new phone to take advantage of?? I have Galaxy S III

Samus Aran
Premium Member
join:2005-10-18
St-Hubert

Samus Aran

Premium Member

I get about the same with my S3 : 7 mbps download and 2 mbpsd upload
LEKO
Blainville, QC

LEKO to SkidR0we

to SkidR0we
said by SkidR0we :

said by LEKO:

I guess I shouldn't complain then, because I average about 6mbps.,

Seeing as Videotron is upgrading their network to LTE, will my phone be compatible or is it a new technology that I'll have to get New phone to take advantage of?? I have Galaxy S III

Your question is simple, but there is no simple answer. As long Videotron will support hspda+ on the AWS spectrum you will be fine. And since Videotron only have this band, you'll be fine. When Videotron will deploy LTE, they will do it on this band too, so Videotron LTE phones will have to work on the band and it should not be a problem, the big 3 are using this band for their lTE networks. But, i don't think actual SGS3 from Videotron Is supporting LTE at all. You'll be stuck in hspda+ (42mbps max).

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to LEKO

to LEKO
said by LEKO:

In the wireless/cellular world there is 2 thing: theorical speed and actual speed.

Theory:
"3G" up to 21Mbps
"4G" up to 42Mbps (2 carriers = 2 x 21 Mbps)
"LTE" up to 300Mbps

But even in labs, the theoretical speed is hard to achieve. In practice, we see lower numbers. Also, no one can have the exact same speed. Signal quality can vary a lot with temperature too...

Error correction.

It's pretty much the same as a WiFi router. Wireless G routers are marketed as "54 mbps". In practice, the maximum speed you can get is around 21 mbps. Where are the other 33 mbps? Checksum/Error correction.
LEKO
Blainville, QC

LEKO

said by PatPatate:

Error correction.

It's pretty much the same as a WiFi router. Wireless G routers are marketed as "54 mbps". In practice, the maximum speed you can get is around 21 mbps. Where are the other 33 mbps? Checksum/Error correction.

The 3G/4G overhead is not that much, in labs you can achieve 18mbps on 21mbps 3G networks.
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc to PatPatate

to PatPatate
YEah but the overhead, Checksum/Error correction is on all of the (4G and LTE too) not just the 3g. So as long as we take the theorical maximum for each of them, it doesn't matter. We can still compare them.
LEKO
Blainville, QC

LEKO

said by GuiGQc:

YEah but the overhead, Checksum/Error correction is on all of the (4G and LTE too) not just the 3g. So as long as we take the theorical maximum for each of them, it doesn't matter. We can still compare them.

Yup, you can still compare them. I just want to make sure it's clear no matter which technology you choose or phone you buy, the theorical (or protocol maximum) speed is not the REAL speed.

And it's clear LTE have more bandwidth comparer to HSPDA+ and I will not argue about it. And don't forget, the thread is about what the user expect on his SGS3 on Videotron network.
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

said by LEKO:

what the user expect on Videotron network.

Not much LOL! You get what you pay for...
LEKO
Blainville, QC

LEKO

said by GuiGQc:

said by LEKO:

Tu es méchant! :P
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

Réaliste plutôt. C'est un fait que Vidéotron n'a pas les meilleures technologies pour leur réseau mobile.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to GuiGQc

to GuiGQc
said by GuiGQc:

said by LEKO:

IMHO, Videotron's prices are basically the same as the other carriers, so you get less than what you pay for ;P
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

La promo "SOIRS ET WEEKENDS PLUS" à 34.95$ avec 500 Mb de données c'était pas pire. Ils l'ont augmenter à 40$ par contre et ça dit encore que l'offre est pour une durée limitée.

BillyBobJimb

Anon

N'oublie pas que Videotron un montant de 50$ min par mois pour avoir un des téléphones intelligents les plus récent à un prix résonable.
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

Je pensais que c'était 40$ chez Vidéotron.