how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to David1997

Re: [TWC] RR Standard with Motorola SB6141 Speed Increase?

I ordered myself the SB6141 from Amazon on Sunday to replace the SB5101U which is darn good modem to begin with. I want the channel bonding with the SB6141 which suppose to help with network congestion.

I have a question about the SB6141. Is it true that TWC does not push any firmware updates to it? What is your firmware version number? I don't mind asking.

David1997

join:2013-02-13
reply to jimk

Thanks jimk. The test results were for a hardwired computer. The test differences for the wireless computer are even greater (like 3 with the SB6141, and in the low 20's with the Arris). The price of the SB5101 is so low, that I might get that to use temporarily until Standard service in my area increases to 20, or the price of faster service drops.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to David1997

The Arris 502G is a DOCSIS 2 modem, which supports PowerBoost. This will, contrary to what TWC said, result in faster speed tests.

TWC doesn't support PowerBoost on DOCSIS 3 modems such as the SB6141. The brand doesn't have any impact.

If PowerBoost is important to you, you might want to consider the Motorola SB5101 or SB5101U. These DOCSIS 2 modems support PowerBoost, but probably aren't the best choice in the long term. Many providers are dropping PowerBoost as they increase their standard speeds.

DOCSIS 3 modems offer channel bonding, so your speeds will be more stable and less likely to degrade due to network congestion. As the standard tiers get faster, you will be more and more likely to start running into the limitations of older equipment, so I would suggest sticking with the SB6141. It is better in the long term.

David1997

join:2013-02-13
reply to jimk

I went from the Arris 502G which I am renting to the Motorola SB6141. I have standard service, and my download speed from speedtest.net dropped from about 24 with the Arris to 15 with the Motorola. Standard service is supposed to be 15. According to TW tech support level 3, the power boost would not result in download speed with the Arris on standard service in the low 20's. In fact, he said that powerboost would not effect speedtest at all. Is there something about my particular Arris that allows the faster speed, or will another Arris get the same speed? I could buy a used Arris and see, but if someone already know that could save me a few bucks. Thanks.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

First one sounds like your promotion ending.
Postcards were sent believe me.

Hob

Depends on where you live, and possibly when your bill cycle date was. I received my postcard after the bill came with the new modem fee. The only advance notice I had was from this forum.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Fleeced

NO. There was NO notice one month in advance on my TWC bill. The bill came, payable when it arrived, and it had the increase on it. THERE WAS NO NOTICE ON THE PREVIOUS BILL.

Stop saying there was prior notification. If there was in YOUR division then you should be accurate and state what division you are in and speak only for your division. In my division there was NO prior notice.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to shade45

There was also a notice on your bill a month before they even added these.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to hobgoblin

Maybe in YOUR division postcards were sent. In my division we just got our monthly bill with the increase on the bill. It is always that way here. It would have been a shock had I not been reading this forum.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10
reply to peteyz24

said by peteyz24:

I never recieved a post card or anything. One month my rr standard went from 29.99 to 39.99. about 2 months later my bill was 44.14 when they added the modem fee

First one sounds like your promotion ending.
Postcards were sent believe me.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

peteyz24

join:2013-01-27
reply to shade45

I never recieved a post card or anything. One month my rr standard went from 29.99 to 39.99. about 2 months later my bill was 44.14 when they added the modem fee

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to gmlefty

Re: postcard modem lease

said by gmlefty :

If i buy my own modem/router shouldn't they drop both these fees??

Yes.

gmlefty

@rr.com
reply to Lumbas666

TWC In Dayton Ohio now charges 4.95 modem and 3.95 router fee on my monthly bill. This is to provide WIFI.
This is almost $9 per month for WIFI.!!
If i buy my own modem/router shouldn't they drop both these fees??

Lumbas666

@rr.com
reply to docyahoo

Just received my postcard from TWC on the 26th, announcing the $3.95 modem lease fee. My internet fee is not being lowered. New increase is actually $4.23/ month, effective immediately on monthly bill received today! Even worse is the fact that the Motorola SB5100 installed 18 months ago by a "qualified" Time Warner installer is not approved for Turbo internet.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10
reply to Gemutlich

Re: [TWC] RR Standard with Motorola SB6141 Speed Increase?

"It was placed on the approved list in the last few days, along with several other additions. The comments about the SB6121 in posts above were when it was not yet on the approved list."

Yes...I made a number of posts about the 6121 which should be ignored!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14
reply to docyahoo

said by docyahoo:

Still planning on purchasing, probably the 6141 [future-proofing]; just wondering why everyone is worried about the 6121 though? This may be a recent change, but they have it listed as approved for ALL tiers at twc.com/approveddevices.

It was placed on the approved list in the last few days, along with several other additions. The comments about the SB6121 in posts above were when it was not yet on the approved list.

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to raphaeltee

I have DOCSIS 2.0/eMTA and a Motorola SB6141 D3 cable modem connected through a splitter. Oceanic Time Warner didn't have any D3 eMTA/Cable modems at the time, so I had to do it this way when I upgraded to 20/2Mbps service.

Oceanic received Arris D3 eMTA/Cable Modem/ Wireless Router after I upgraded to the new tier though.

docyahoo

join:2012-11-17
Brockport, NY
reply to shade45

Just got my $3.95 modem lease fee line item postcard in the mail today. For anyone who hasn't seen the postcard, mine also says "based on your current service level and monthly rate, your Standard Internet Service price will be reduced by $3.95 per month." At least it wasn't a "tack-on" cost...

Still planning on purchasing, probably the 6141 [future-proofing]; just wondering why everyone is worried about the 6121 though? This may be a recent change, but they have it listed as approved for ALL tiers at twc.com/approveddevices.

raphaeltee

join:2004-10-24
Brooklyn, NY
reply to raphaeltee

Today -- nearly two weeks later -- I got a service call.

The modem, which had been provisioned, kept on rebooting. Turns out I had a bad splitter, despite having paid a premium for it at Staples. Tech installed a new one (free of charge) and was out in twenty minutes.

Service is noticeably faster. Also relieved since in the back of my mind I was afraid the tech would show up and try to tell me the 6121 wasn't acceptable.

Jack8

@rr.com
reply to BustaHipp

Just collected the mail from the mailbox tonight and I have a postcard from TWC saying they'll start charging me here in NC $3.95/mth for my "modem" that I bought 9 years ago. Nothing on the card about how to contact anybody [why would they communicate info on how to communicate with a communications company? ] I have their digital phone & internet connection (no TV). So I looked online & found this thread. Who do I call to make sure I keep my VoIP & Internet both; are any of their approved "modems" capable of both? I usually get 20+/1 on this nearly decade old modem (I'm less than a half mile from their main switch for this area). I won't pay $4/m.

BustaHipp

@rr.com
reply to shade45

I purchased a SB6141 on eBay for $100 a couple weeks ago just before the prices spiked, and installed it 2 days ago. It took about 15 mins total after calling TWC 800 Customer Support to get provisioned. The L1 Tech took all my information, (account, model, MAC) and plugged it into the system and said it was done. I was unable to connect to the internet, so she passed me to L3, where a very nice and knowlegable Tech said one step had been missed, which he corrected immediately. I'm now seeing consistant 20/2 speeds, which previously varied by a wide margin with TWC's ubee U10C018.80. I'm still doing periodic d/l and u/l tests to see if I'm going to keep the SB6141 before I take the ubee back to TW and stop paying the rental fee. I'm in NC and our rate is going up to $3.95/mo.

tragik74

join:2012-10-12
Flushing, NY
reply to shade45

i got SB6141 from amazon too, it took me 10min with level 3 support. and the speed is not inscrease, just stablized at 10/1 with any jump or drop

ML53217

@rr.com
reply to vondy

I got my SB6141 thru Amazon. I just installed it with tier 3- over the phone and chat - It took them two hours - so be prepared. Also, Amazon has pretty good return policy, they even pay UPS shipping back.

Fleeced

reply to mystycs

said by mystycs:

I was getting 20/1 on a Ubee U10C018. Then i bought a new SB6141 and now its 10/1? Any ideas about this guys?

You went to a Docsis 3 modem. Your Turbo boost that you were getting before (That shows up in speedtests) is no longer active, so you're only get the standard internet, which is 10/1.

raphaeltee

join:2004-10-24
Brooklyn, NY
reply to shade45

I called last Friday with the MAC address of my 6121 & was told I'd be called within 72 hours to have it provisioned. On Tuesday I still hadn't heard back, so I "chatted" with a representative and asked him please to get it done.

Heard nothing -- and anxious that they would levy the charge, I called yesterday afternoon & waited 20 minutes for someone to get through to "the local office." Finally I was "put through" and started to give another, rather ignorant-sounding grunt of a woman the MAC address. Then she told me in 72 hours, the modem would be provisioned. I started say, "No, no, NO" and she started asking me if I'd filled out a form Q54TH or something. Not quite flying into a rage, I demanded to speak to her supervisor -- she came back on the line 5 minutes later to tell me her supervisor would call me back, which naturally, never happened.

I called the TWC help number once again and somehow got put through to a national help desk line -- a sort of automatic phone line escalation, if I had to guess. I wasn't really thrilled about spending another half an hour on the phone, but at least the woman seemed competent. She said she would see to it the modem was provisioned, and that someone would call me in an hour or so.

Naturally, no one called back last night. I've just spent another three quarters of an hour with another woman on the national help desk line who told me that the modem has now been provisioned. We went through connecting and disconnecting it, only to find that the modem cannot sustain a connection and keeps rebooting. She arranged a service appointment.

My guess at this point after a week of delays, including approximately three hours on the phone is that my little corner of Brooklyn is not outfitted to handle Docsis 3.0 -- this miserable little timewasting scenario sure smells like someone isn't leveling with me

Of course, I was insistent that they not charge me the modem fee since I'm almost certain they will not have this sorted out by Monday when the fee goes into effect -- of course, the woman said "Oh no, of course we won't. And you will not be charged for the service appointment, either."

Who wants to bet me they charge me anyway?

mystycs

join:2006-10-28
Forest Hills, NY
reply to shade45

I was getting 20/1 on a Ubee U10C018. Then i bought a new SB6141 and now its 10/1? Any ideas about this guys?

Fleeced

reply to vondy

You can always bridge the 6580 to act like a modem if you can't get another brand of modem (The 6580s had terrible firmware issues for a while). There's other versions, most newer model gateway modems have a way to bridge them.

grayknight

join:2012-01-09
reply to raphaeltee

said by raphaeltee:

said by mackey:

said by rayfield :

Anyone want to give odds on them giving me trouble? I'm on the Standard tier.

A SB6121 is fine for the Standard tier, but you won't be able to use it for Extreme or Ultimate.

/M

Thanks. I finally took a look at the modem: I've got a landline through TWC as well. Unless I'm misreading the TWC "help" and list of supported devices, the only way I can continue to get phone service is through one of *their* devices. Guess I will have to get VOIP for my landline through a third party. Which sucks also.

It's true that if you have phone service with TWC, you'll get to keep what modem they provided you. BUT you can still go an buy your own modem and not get charged the fee. What they will do is when you call in to get the new modem provisioned, they'll disable the ethernet on the original modem.

jeblis

join:2012-10-08
Austin, TX
reply to vondy

said by vondy:

Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it.

They had them in stock last Thursday for $120. There's just a surge in demand right now. You may need to pay the rental fee for a month or two until they are available again.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to vondy

said by vondy:

Turns out the Motorola SB6141 and the SBG6580 are the only two in Texas that are "certified". Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it. The SBG6580 is available but I don't need the WIFI because I already have an airport extreme.

I bought one from these guys a couple weeks ago when they were still $99. Although you can find a few auctions in the $150 range, at this point unless you're on the Extreme or Ultimate tier you're better off getting a cheap D2 modem and holding off on the 6141 for a few months.

/M

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to vondy

my wife threw away the box for the 6141 so I doubt Amazon is going to take it back.

You can try making the same "mistake" on the phone...