uniqs
share rss forum feed

RocketJeff
Premium
join:2008-08-20
Birmingham, AL
reply to bengalvfan

Re: Line depth running through my yard?

I have my lawn aerated about once a year (heavy Alabama soil) and haven't had a problem with U-verse or cable tv (when we had it). I do mark sprinkler heads so they won't get run over.

Last year I dug up a section of my yard near where the phone & cable TV lines enter my house. I knew the lines would be running in the area, so I was very careful in my digging.

Besides the phone & cable tv lines that were actually running into the house, I found 2 phone and 3 cable TV lines that ended several feet away from the house in the yard.

The house is about 15 years old - we've owned it for 4 years and haven't had a line replaced since we moved in. None of the cables (old or new) seemed to be more then 5" down, most were just a couple of inches. One of the cable TV lines was barely below the sod.

It probably seems cheaper to the phone/cable companies to replace the lines rather then to bury them a reasonable depth.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by RocketJeff:

It probably seems cheaper to the phone/cable companies to replace the lines rather then to bury them a reasonable depth.

Yes. Fixing stuff is an operating expenditure. Installing new stuff is a capital expenditure. Management & stockholders do not like capital investment unless there is a proven ROI.