share rss forum feed

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to skeechan

Re: Cue whiners crying it isn't as good as FiOS

I agree with you, skeechan. This is a big improvement over +$70/mo 1.5Mb speeds and 10GB FAP policies.

I read their press release and didn't find some important info, such as how they'll handle the latency problem? When we were with Wildblue it was so bad I couldn't do online banking because the SSL would time out and real-time tasks were impossible. Also, will they use a FAP using cap-and-throttle or can you purchase a bucket of GB if you need to go over?

Financially it's priced to compete with VZW's home LTE service. Give up a little latency in exchange for a reasonable price and 10 more GB a month. I really hope it works out well!

Expand your moderator at work

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ShellMMG

Re: Cue whiners crying it isn't as good as FiOS

This one is to compete squarely w/ cantenna and maybe to a lesser extent the other sat providers. What this does however is now get the 2 play (voip still out of the question), but if one goes w/ a cell phone home voice is handled.

TBH 20 GB will get you the internet and mild streaming, however this will not allow cloud streaming (netflix, amazon, itunes). So w/ tv and DVR this is circa 2005.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Voip is not out of the question. Personally I would not use it over satellite, but a lot of people are using voip on Exede and many no doubt plan to use it on Hughes' new service. It works.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

I guess. I used to work on sats. The latency and priority access is the problem. It's sorta like using nextel though.

There are many affordable cell programs out there for voice and text, so one doesn't have to go through that pain.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to ShellMMG

Latency problem? Not much you can do, Shooting to space, back down, back up and back down, simply takes time, even at the speed of light.......