Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

[Serious] Man attacks dog; police 'no comment' on bath salts

This story is a more than a bit unsettling:

Pembroke police are investigating a bizarre case of a man who attacked a dog on a downtown street early Wednesday morning.

Witness Tanner Comeau, 18, was driving home to Petawawa through downtown Pembroke at about 12:30 a.m. with a friend when he saw something strange at the intersection of Pembroke Street West and Christie Street.

"We drove by it, and it was in the middle of the intersection. It was a guy wrapped around a dog, choking it, biting it, it was messed up," Comeau told the CBC's Kristy Nease by phone from Petawawa Thursday morning. "So we pulled over. And the guy was in his boxers.

"We ran up to him, screaming at him. Our first priority was to go and hit him … but then we decided to call the cops because he was eating the dog and there was blood all over the place and the dog was squealing. It was just really, really disturbing."

It does sound a bit like the 'bath salts' cannibal story from the US earlier in the year. I'll admit I don't know a lot about this new street product, but if this is what can result, what sort of 'high' are these users looking for?

I know the federal govt outlawed methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) earlier this week, but I'm sure there will be ways found to acquire it if people are making 'bath salts'. I'm not sure the ban will amount to much, but I did find it a bit unsettling to read in this story that drug sniffing dogs and equipment can't detect 'bath salts' because it's a man-made compound. Does this mean they can't detect anything that is cooked up like meth, ecstasy or the like?
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Markie
INTJ

join:2009-07-11
Canada
Actually, that bath salts cannibalism story was bs as the perp had only cannabis in his system.
»news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bat···305.html
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
said by Markie:

Actually, that bath salts cannibalism story was bs as the perp had only cannabis in his system.

True. I was about post the same.

Tests in cannibalism case: Zombie-like attacker used pot, not 'bath salts'
»www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/us/florid···dex.html

"The department has also sought the assistance of an outside forensic toxicology reference laboratory, which has confirmed the absence of 'bath salts,' synthetic marijuana and LSD," the statement said."
Expand your moderator at work

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to loosedobbs

Re: [Serious] Man attacks dog; police 'no comment' on bath salts

I guess potheads can't use their unscientific proof that pot has never killed anyone anymore.

I recall when this story (about the Florida dude eating a hobo) first came out, everyone blamed bath salt.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
That's assuming the reports are correct....

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
The problem was the "Newspapers" report things that are 100% true, except with the things you have first hand knowledge of.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to Kardinal
What I can't figure out is why a dog would submit to this---especially as it was a pit bull.

Folks, I am [not] starting anything against pit bulls, but hey, if any breed can defend itself against being eaten, wouldn't that be the one?

Why didn't the dog fight back?!

The man is lucky he wasn't attacked by the dog---which would have been perfectly proper.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Always two side to a story.. Too bad the other side can't talk. - I'd love to know why the dog did not fight back.

So this can be prevented.. by having the expected canine response to this type of treatment.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Kardinal
Story update:

He has been charged under the Provincial Offenses Act for:

1) keeping/raising a prohibited animal
2) failing to license a prohibited animal
3) failing to innoculate the animal for rabies

No criminal charges.

The dogs were taken in by a pitbull rescue operation in Ottawa and so far a home has been found for the mum and one of the puppies.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

I guess potheads can't use their unscientific proof that pot has never killed anyone anymore.

I recall when this story (about the Florida dude eating a hobo) first came out, everyone blamed bath salt.

Just like the irrational witch-hunters (like yourself) can point to pot as the cause - even though there is no proof at all that this was the cause.

I suppose, if they had detected pop-tarts in his system, you'd be baying for a ban on that too, eh?

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
said by EdmundGerber:

Just like the irrational witch-hunters (like yourself) can point to pot as the cause - even though there is no proof at all that this was the cause.

I suppose, if they had detected pop-tarts in his system, you'd be baying for a ban on that too, eh?

No, it's irrational people (like yourself) who believe that marijuana is a 100% completely safe drug because it's difficult to blame it on traffic accidents and violent crimes because it stays in your system long after the affects have worn off.
--

Jethro86

join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Markie
said by Markie:

I guess he really got the "munchies" from smoking pot.