spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dillbilly

join:2007-10-27

Double the speed, half the IP addresses?

I recently upgraded from 10Mbps to 20Mbps with TW, and when I did so they "upgraded" my modem from my rock-solid SB5101N to an SBG6580. Nevermind that I really didn't need (or want) a wireless gateway modem router doohickey since I was already running a robust home network, but whatever (it also was either a refurb or a return, since the default moto login didn't work...)

Prior to the upgrade I was able to pull two IP addresses at a time from TW, and generally used them both. Since my speed bump though, I've only been able to get one IP address at a time.

I'm not using the SBG as a gateway, and the modem status indicates that it's not pulling an address for itself. When I tried to use the old modem even after a weekend of sitting unmolested it wouldn't allow my firewall to pull an address.

This has impacted my ability to run two networks at home, but also we suffer from fickle power, and if it goes out for more than a few minutes, it's an hour before our router gets a new address.

Anyone know what might be causing this, and hopefully have a way around it?

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
You don't need two public addresses to run two private LANs, you just need a router that supports it.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to dillbilly
Good question and I wonder if there are any divisions that still give out more than 1 public IP. For years, TW gave 5 even with standard RR packages up here.

In my modem diag screens, it shows "Known CPE MAC Address (Max 2)" and then lists my routers MAC address as one. Is this indicative of another public IP being available to me if I wanted it?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

mdpeterman

join:2010-10-10
Westerville, OH
reply to dillbilly
You just need a VLAN capable router to have more than one private LAN. While I agree it is nice to be able have more than one public IP, if you just want two different LANs, you can get away with one.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
kudos:1
reply to dillbilly
I have recently moved my VOIP modem to its' own acquired IP address through my cable modem.
I now pull two IPs from TWC through my cable modem, no problem.
In theory, I probably could pull 4 without raising to much dust from TWC.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by TransitMan:

In theory, I probably could pull 4 without raising to much dust from TWC.

Why would they raise a stink since they are the ones that set the configuration for the modem?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

dillbilly

join:2007-10-27
reply to TransitMan
I've never been able to get more than two from them. Occasionally a third non-functional address, but that was extremely rare.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to dillbilly
I know in WNY you can pull 5 public IPs out of the modems.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
said by Jabbu:

I know in WNY you can pull 5 public IPs out of the modems.

The modem Boot file controls how many IP's you can pull, 5 in Buffalo is a hold over from the Adelphia days.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
TWC Mid-Ohio Adelphia areas are still the same and so is NEO/WPA. They never merged over to RR.