share rss forum feed

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to fonzbear2000

Re: Connection going from normal to very slow every 2-3 days

downstream power is pretty low, COULD be a potential problem, depending which way it swings. SNR looks ok for such low power. Upstream looks ok.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
said by tshirt:

downstream power is pretty low, COULD be a potential problem, depending which way it swings. SNR looks ok for such low power. Upstream looks ok.

Well, now it's -8 and it does say
For all modems: -10 dBmV to +10 dBmV "Recommended".

The main thing I don't get is why is my speed going from normal for 2 or 3 days to super slow for 2 or 3 days, back and forth like that?
--
»Music2pc-This program is AMAZING!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
A 3.5dBmV fluctuation in signal on any given day is totally within normal range.
so assuming your modem is exactly right about the level(it's not a precision meter, but a "close enough" sort of reading) depending on exact when you took the reading, it could actually be down at -12 or so part of the time, throw in changing temps/seasonal manual adjustments, and you could have such a low signal that your modem is constantly saying "sorry, I didn't hear that, please say again" continual resends could explain the bad performance days.
It is borderline enough to make it worth calling in for a tech and fixing/adjusting it before you totally lose contact.