dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kman08

@direcway.com

Email with Exede? Problems with Hughes....again.

Would someone on Exede please help me understand what Exede offers for their customers for email? I am a Hughes, but the relationship has been like a leaky boat going back to 2006. And recently, I think I might make the switch. Also does anyone in Upstate New York, like near Alexandria Bay have the service now? Exede's website says it is not available, and when I called Exede about two weeks ago they confirmed that, but I was called by Exede back at the end of last summer and it was, and now yesterday Exede by telephone says it is too. Ping-pong. I think I would switch, as I am just exhausted with trying to be loyal to Hughes if the email service is good. Does anyone know yet how Exede's 12Mbps service compares with Hughes 10Mbps? I need some advice. I have been with Hughes a long time and so I know them, their ways, their configurations, etc. But I am really tired now of them.

Kman08

@direcway.com
I do know it is Gmail, and that kind of burns, because I am not really pleased with Google's invasion of privacy, or their terms of privacy. And that is what kind of gets me. I answered most of my email concerns with good old research, so yeah Outlook can be set up with either IMAP or POP standards, so good.

But how is everyone enjoying the Exede service? I would love to hear from those that might have switched over from Hughes as I am at that cross roads right now.

Thank you much in advance.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
said by Kman08 :

I do know it is Gmail

Users do not have to use it; I've never used my NRTC email service.

Years ago, I used Pobox

»www.pobox.com/

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to Kman08
People actually use the providers address, you have to be kidding right ?

Kman08

@direcway.com
@A tech,

Expand please on your comment to me, would you? I am curious by your point, but from what you posted, I fail to grasp it.

NewUser

@184.63.232.x
reply to Kman08
said by Kman08

But how is everyone enjoying the Exede service? I would love to hear from those that might have switched over from Hughes as I am at that cross roads right now.

Thank you much in advance.
[/BQUOTE :

I just had Exede 12 installed yesterday afternoon and I'm enjoying it so far. I've been a hughesnet/direcway user for over a decade. I haven't done speed tests but downloads of two large music files from bandcamp this morning were hitting close to 19mbps averaged according to DUMeter. This compares to the 2.0 I was getting during the hughes free time and the 200kbps I was getting most other times with hughes. Browsing is also much snappier although I've had a few DNS problems just like on hughes with some of the less commonly used websites requiring a reload to receive.

I signed up for three email accounts and setup the accounts for pop3 so I can use Thunderbird and not log into gmail using a browser.

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to Kman08
Free email is provided by ISP's to get you tied down to using the service. i.e. to some people changing an email address is a pain in the A$$. The first time I got on internet I started using an email address a few months later I found I could get internet via the phone company cheaper and on my phone bill. I then had to get a new email address. Then I found out about free email from the likes of yahoo and I have had the same email address ever since. Other than adding gmail.

Kman08

@direcpc.com
I am sorry A tech, I do not look at that the same way you do. When I shop I look for all the features, I consider email, as just another feature, but one that is important to me. I want server protection, maintenance and customer service. But with Exede, I will either be getting Gmail too, albeit a bit better than one of the free Gmail accounts, it appears to be Gmail. I am not going to pay for the ISP then go out and pay for email etc. So I hope that the ISP has email service that they provide that is equivalent to what I could go out and purchase as an additional feature of my service. I see what you are saying, but of course, if you pack something with features you are attracting more customers. How would that strategy be any different.

Email is important to some, and less to others as blue is important to some and red to others making a car purchase. Hey, we are all humans.

And look, I think that Exede knew that if they provided service, and then said, we do not provide email, that it might turn some off. So they went the cheapest route they could, that still gives them the ability to claim they have email service, brokering a deal with Google, and thus, doing what is the popular thing, and that is to contract it out. ViaSat does not have the headaches with maintaining email servers, and Google gave them a good deal probably.

I also tend not to want to log in to web based email accounts. I rather use Thunderbird or Outlook as well to tap the server for my mail.

Kman08

@direcpc.com
reply to A Tech
Ooof! I just saw on the Hughesnet community that new GEN 4 customers are reporting that their email accounts are experiencing some pretty nasty hiccups. Ugh. And some customers are not using pop3 and client software like Thunderbird or Outlook. So their emails were on Hughes servers. Time to find that last backup tape. Ugh. And some customers are pretty upset, because they are running some kind of in home businesses. Which has its own second and third order effects. From what I can gather, it might be related to how the accounts are being set up with the installers.

That might lend support to your reasoning there, A tech.

Ugh, that is not good.
Expand your moderator at work

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
reply to Kman08

Re: Email with Exede? Problems with Hughes....again.

Not sure what you mean with the invasion of privacy thing. I have had the same Gmail address since back when you had to be invited or have a cell phone to sign up and I have to say that this is the most spam free email I have ever had. I have had direcway, yahoo, Iwon, and hotmail, and Gmail is the only one that has never sold my address to any third parties. I am very carefull who I give my email address out to and with Gmail I can tell the fuits of that labor as I only get email from people I know I gave it too. Never any spam. My yahoo address that I use for a game (I also use my gmail address for another account on that same game) Took exactly 9 days before it was being spammed after I made it and I had given to only that one game. Made a hotmail address once and was getting spammed the next day, LOL.

They might have some invasion of privacy issues, dunno about that but I can say the service is locked down tight and they don't give out your address. As for the terms of service, I am sure that has changed a thousand times since I signed up so I don't even know what it says anymore.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network