uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: [DTA] What DTAs is Comcast acquiring that are brand new

I noticed my DCM101 got a firmware update a few days ago.

The only obvious normal user change is that an HD channel that is programmed into it for some reason no longer works. It used to work fine, but displayed a chopped 4:3 picture. Now, it has about 1/2sec of audio, then nothing. No video.

In the diagnostics, there is a second page to the Tuner Status that just lists a history of the frequencies tuned. Weird.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
Did notice another change from that firmware update. It appears to now support 4-digit channels. Typing 3 digits would then instantly tune it in. Now it pauses unless you hit ENTER, or you put 0's in front.

Useless here as there are no 4-digit channels. Even in areas with them, are any of them SD, or are they only HD?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
compatibility???

The Full SD boxes can see the HD channels but can't tune them.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
Back before Comcast started setting HD as a separate code, my parents ancient SD boxes could receive the HD channels. It did tune them in and had audio, but no video. These were ancient DCT-2xxx's. I think newer ones may be able to tune them in and downconvert, if they are in the allowed channel mapping.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
The reason why Thomson/Technicolor SD DTAs can tune to and downconvert an HD channel and output it at SD is because they use a Broadcom BCM3545 chipset. In this article on it »www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=161812 it says:
Broadcom's new [BCM3545] DTA chipset is based on the BCM3543 chip that's being used in some terrestrial, over-the-air [DTV] converter boxes.
:
We took that [BCM3543 chip] at the core and basically cable-ized it...
From a product brief I found on the BCM3543 chip, it states:
On-chip support to convert all inputs (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) to standard definition analog output 480i format.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to andyross
I remember on of the SD boxes being able to view info channel HD when it was in the 480i looping help video mode. But what happens to the bandwidth it needs for HD. when it's is in 480i mode?

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
That bandwidth may be more or less fixed. It's a local channel, not national, so it could be anything. It may somewhat depend on what else is using that same frequency.