spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Felt

join:2012-09-29

Might get a cable line dug to house. Anything i should know?

Im moving into a acreage in the vicinity of sherwood park. After failing to have dsl hooked up by teksavvy ive found out the house is to far away for the service. Sattelite and Wildrose's wireless service also do not fit my needs. However the subdivision right across the road from the property has cable running to all the houses so i was thinking id try to get cable dug to my house. Im not going to be at the property regularly for an unkown amount of time so im holding off calling around and trying to set up a date to get the place looked at. Ive seen other posts about people trying to get lines to to their houses after an estimate. Is there anything i should know before hand? Who are the right people to call? Who owns the actual infastructure in my area? Any help or links would be appreciated.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by Felt:

Im moving into a acreage in the vicinity of sherwood park.

Sherwood Park in Toronto has good dsl & cable service from both incumbents and indies.

Grappler

join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON
reply to Felt
Check with the engineering/building department at the Strathcona County offices.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Felt
If this is Toronto, it would be Rogers serving the area. You can call them and ask, they will give you an upfront install cost and timeframe.

You can try getting hooked up with a third party through Rogers but I haven't seen anyone get service right away with a third party if you don't already have the wiring in place.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by mlerner:

If this is Toronto, it would be Rogers serving the area. You can call them and ask, they will give you an upfront install cost and timeframe.

This is Sherwood Park, Alberta, I believe. Incumbent cable provider is Shaw.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Felt
Googling for "sherwood park" returns 9,160,000 results. You may to be more detailed.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Felt
TELUS is doing a pretty heavy FTTH build in/around the Sherwood Park area - all new developments are being wired with fibre, rather then copper... So may be worth a call to them.

Shaw's the cableco.

Assuming you mean Sherwood Park AB...

Felt

join:2012-09-29
Sorry for not being specific but i am indeed talking about Sherwood Park Alberta (i do believe Wildrose wireless only serves rural Alberta for a clue). I emailed Shaw a few days back and expect an answer tommarow (tuesday) but there is a good chance they will reply telling me to call sales or the like. Regardless ill call them wednesday as i will be avaliable to have the place examined later this week.

To reiterate i do not have dsl avaliable as i am too far out, cable is not allready hooked up to the house and allthough i like the fibre idea i dont think there is any other building going on other than a few more houses in the subdivision so there probably isnt anything nearby. Also Grappler why do you suggest i see engineering/building? If i "call before i dig" am i not covered as far as the government is concerned with the cable co handleing the permits?

Well heres hopeing the call is handled as well as rogers seems to and that im not passed around like a beachball between shaws departments.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Felt:

To reiterate i do not have dsl avaliable as i am too far out, cable is not allready hooked up to the house and allthough i like the fibre idea i dont think there is any other building going on other than a few more houses in the subdivision so there probably isnt anything nearby. Also Grappler why do you suggest i see engineering/building? If i "call before i dig" am i not covered as far as the government is concerned with the cable co handleing the permits?

"Call before you dig" is only cable locate, if that is whom you called. They only do existing installations. In Ontario that is now a separate company; a co-op arrangements so that all locates are done at once (in theory). Indeed, it would be engineering who handle build out.

It's also very complicated, involving legal issues, municipal bylaws, easements, the CRTC and so on. If you don't have existing cable right now, and Shaw isn't planning a build out, you may be out of luck. But see what they say.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Felt
I have a friend in Sherwood Park. No DSL or Cable available at his place... Its hilarious, since it's so close to Edmonton.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Felt
Get a quote to install a business service (cable or fiber) if you get the 'no way' answer about residential service.

Business service is a different sales team, and if you're planning to stay in your house for say 3-5 years and it's unlikely that residential service will become available at your location within that period, a business service might be doable for you if they spread out any up-front install costs over a 3 year commitment. Also see if they will rebate you anything if they piggyback other new users on your paid-for cable/fiber segment.