Re: How do safe deposit boxes work?

what ya putting in there?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Nothing, but if I did, I'd like to know what it costs. That scene from the Bourne movie made me wonder. How could he just go to a box in another country after God knows how long...

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
kudos:1
said by signmeuptoo:

Nothing, but if I did, I'd like to know what it costs. That scene from the Bourne movie made me wonder. How could he just go to a box in another country after God knows how long...

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to signmeuptoo
The rates vary quite a bit between banks, so it's best to shop around. The fees are charged annually. There are penalties if you don't return both keys. Most banks require you to have an account at the bank.

My bank charges $38 (plus tax) per year.

It's highly recommended that you keep important papers (e.g., deeds, wills, automobile titles, birth certificates, naturalization certificates) in a safe deposit box.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

That scene from the Bourne movie made me wonder. How could he just go to a box in another country after God knows how long...

It's a movie, we like to stretch the reality in them. I was talking to a friend who works at a TD Bank about getting a Safety Deposit box and I commented about pulling a James Bond Style move to break into the vault and get them he said it's very unlikley and they're very secure. A few weeks later someone broke in James Bond Style through the roof into a bank and got the safety deposit boxes.
--
Edrick Smith
Independent Film & Broadcast Producer
»edricksmith.com

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

So is this a movie question or a real question?
Plus well if long term and lazy stick enough cash into an account and have it auto deduct until it runs out. Or maybe some you could prepay for a long long time.
The movie ones that gets me is those lockers at bus stations, train station airports etc. they get out of prison or wherever and years later the stuff is still there. Just those initial quarters and storage for years or some even free.
Nobody checked the locker had been abandon forever and cleaned out the contents.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

It's highly recommended that you keep important papers (e.g., deeds, wills, automobile titles, birth certificates, naturalization certificates) in a safe deposit box.

Our lawyer does not recommend keeping wills in a safe deposit box. One's demise will usually cause the safe deposit box to be sealed for some period of time, which would mean that the will is not accessible to whomever one has designated as executor. Our lawyer recommended getting one of the fireproof boxes for wills, living wills, power of attorney's, etc. and keeping them in the fireproof box.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Austinloop:

One's demise will usually cause the safe deposit box to be sealed for some period of time,

Not in New Jersey. The executor is allow to retrieve wills and life insurance policies.

You can also add a second (or third) name to the box and access it after death.

Austinloop

Austin, TX
said by Bob4:

said by Austinloop:

One's demise will usually cause the safe deposit box to be sealed for some period of time,

Not in New Jersey. The executor is allow to retrieve wills and life insurance policies.

You can also add a second (or third) name to the box and access it after death.

That is one state out of 50 (or is it 57). I think I will take my lawyer's advice.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
If your lawyer says the box will be sealed, you need to get a new lawyer.
See - »www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D···.htm#36D

Austinloop

Austin, TX
said by Bob4:

If your lawyer says the box will be sealed, you need to get a new lawyer.
See - »www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D···.htm#36D

No, thanks. I honestly don't remember if she said any thing about the sealing, but she did recommend the fire proof box.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
You could end up like this guy - »Need help with an old safe

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
reply to bigred44
Another good thing to keep in there besides the stuff already mentioned is an encrypted image copy of your hard drives along with a CD-R to restore them in case of disaster. If you have anything you'd be damaged by losing on your hard drive, you should have at least one copy of it off-site from your primary location, be that home or office. I work out of the home, so I back up the main home computer to a hard drive in the computer every 20 minutes, another hidden in the house that's no more than one month old, and another in the safe deposit box that's no more than four months old. Protects photo, audio and video files, financial records, and such.