jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Re: Yea or nay on IE 8?

Too late. The deed got done without my input. Thanks for your responses though. I will send them on in case they are of any help now.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

I would change from IE7 to IE8 if those were the options being considered...

Internet Explorer 8 was released on 19 March 2009. It had been in development since August 2007 at the latest.[35] On 5 March 2008, the first public beta (Beta 1) was released to the general public.[36] On 27 August 2008, the second public beta (Beta 2) was released.[37] It is supported in Windows XP SP2 and SP3, Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 on both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.[38] Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) RC1 was released on 26 January 2009. Internet Explorer 8 "Final" was released on March 19, 2009. Security, ease of use, and improvements in RSS, CSS, and Ajax support are Microsoft's priorities for IE8.[39][40] It includes much stricter compliance with web standards, including a planned full Cascading Style Sheets 2.1 compliance for the release version.[41] All of these changes allowed Internet Explorer 8 to pass the Acid2 test.[42] However, to prevent compatibility issues, IE8 also includes the IE7 rendering behaviour. Sites that expect IE7 quirks can disable IE8's breaking changes by including a meta element in the HEAD section of the HTML document. IE8 also includes numerous improvements to JavaScript support as well as performance improvements,[41] although it still does not pass the Acid3 test, with version 8.0 scoring 20/100.[43] It includes support for accelerators, which allow supported web applications to be invoked without explicitly navigating to them; and WebSlices, which allows portions of a page to be subscribed to and monitored from a redesigned Favourites Bar.[41] Other features include InPrivate privacy features and a SmartScreen phishing filter.[44]

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In ··· plorer_8

Internet Explorer - 1st time
Microsoft said that Acid3 did not agree with the goal of Internet Explorer 8 and that IE8 would improve only some of the standards being tested by Acid3.[34] IE8 scored 20/100, which is much worse than all relevant competitors at the time of Acid3's release, and had some problems with rendering the Acid3 test page. On 18 November 2009, the Internet Explorer team posted a blog entry about the early development of Internet Explorer 9 from the PDC presentation, showing that an internal build of the browser could score 32/100.[35]

»acid3.acidtests.org/

But as you know there are other alternatives out there besides IE.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
IIRC, you can roll back to IE7. You would need to remove all KB's that installed IE8 (or) Add | Remove Programs > IE7 would be re-instated.

In the day when IE7 was released, many didn't like over IE6.