how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

underthehood
Premium
join:2006-01-04

Is it me? ;)

OK is it me or is the new Ubuntu (with Unity) a total dog performance wise.
Last week I bought my wife a laptop. It had Windows 7 Ultimate put on it but I wanted it to be "clean". Much to my dismay the a$$hole I bought it from lied to me and DID erase the recovery partition when he replaced the OS (Win 7 Home premium). So I had to buy recovery disks from Toshiba. They arrived and one disk of three is bad. So while I am waiting for new ones I figured I'd give the new Ubuntu a try.
Now this laptop is no dog (Core Duo, 6 gig ram, 500 SATA drive and so on). Windows 7 was just blazin' fast. Ubuntu seems like you grow a beard waiting. And that interface UGGGH. So I tried Lubuntu much better. For giggles I did Linux Mint also. It too: what a dog compared to Windows 7.
Please for those who like these distros..................I am NOT trying to flame anything or anyone. Just wondering is there anything that is easier to use and snaps right to it the way old Ubuntu (prior to Unity) does/did?

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

said by underthehood:

I am NOT trying to flame anything or anyone. Just wondering is there anything that is easier to use and snaps right to it the way old Ubuntu (prior to Unity) does/did?

yyyyeeeaaaaa right.
lol

Try Fedora or Frugalware.... Though Frugalware still very new and has lots of bugs....
There is also Zenwalk.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to underthehood

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on six different machines. I only have performance problems on two. One is my laptop which is pushing five years. The other is a desktop that I think is about 7 years old. On everything else I do not have performance problems. I recently change the 7 year old computer to using XFCE and it works better.

Howardb0235

@t6b.com
reply to underthehood

Try WWW.PCLINUX.COM

I think you will find it to your liking

Howard

underthehood
Premium
reply to underthehood

I really WANT to like it. But it's so bog slow, and that Unity is just so weird. If it wasn't so slow I might be able to get used to Unity but it takes forever for any reaction from it.
If there was something I could look for in the setup as to why please inform me though I did take it off the machine. Could it be I used a 32 bit version and the machine seems designed for 64 bit software? Though I did put 64 bit Mint on it and notice the same slow awkward response times. Honestly the computer seems like an old Pentium trying to run Vi$ta
As for PCLinux I will check that out......................thanks

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to Howardb0235

said by Howardb0235 :

Try WWW.PCLINUX.COM

Make that www.pclinuxos.com

Santa Fe
Stormy Weather
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by Waldothe3rd:

said by Howardb0235 :

Try WWW.PCLINUX.COM

Make that www.pclinuxos.com

Of course if you WANT WWW.PCLINUX.COM, GoDaddy has it for $7.95!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1

$69.99

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to underthehood

My daughter has no speed complaints with Ubuntu running on her Intel@Atom N435 1.33GHz , 1GB Memory Netbook. She likes it better than the Windows 7 that came preinstalled.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to underthehood

Does your computer have an ATI card?

Linux and ATI cards don't play well together. Period. Intel cards work really well though.

Not sure about GeForce cards, I haven't tried any.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

I think your information is, at best, dated.

Maven
Premium
Canada

I literally just tried dozens of different Linux distros on two different systems.

The laptop with the intel card worked really well with Linux. The laptop with the ATI card couldn't harness the hardware acceleration of the video card, and so stuff like Unity and HD videos were sluggish. Yes, I installed the property drivers, but UVD under Linux is limited. Maybe I missed something, but frankly I was getting tired of going through so many hoops and digging through documentation to exploit my ATI card.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

said by Maven:

... I was getting tired of going through so many hoops and digging through documentation to exploit my ATI card.

That part, I understand completely.

Maven
Premium
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to underthehood

Hence why I wouldn't recommend Linux to anyone using an ATI card. I consider myself pretty fluent in computers, at least with Windows, and I couldn't figure it out. Having to find that special command to get something working is just silly in 2012.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

said by Maven:

Hence why I wouldn't recommend Linux to anyone using an ATI card. I consider myself pretty fluent in computers, at least with Windows, and I couldn't figure it out. Having to find that special command to get something working is just silly in 2012.

IME ATI cards can be hit or miss. Sometimes Ubuntu will install the driver you need, sometimes it won't, and other times (usually on other cards) support ended long ago.
I always stick with Intel or nVidia cards.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to underthehood

My experience has been while the lower end ATI cards are a PITA... The higher end have a bit better luck on the linux side... Not too long ago the ATI rep at the HPC convention was begging us to try ATI on Linux... Everybody was laughing... I think the picture has been painted and for ATI to be able to paint a new img is going to be hard.
To this day I tell those who ask me to stay away from ATI unless you have the time.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Maxo

said by Maxo:

I always stick with Intel or nVidia cards.

Same here. ATI has pretty good out of the box support for just basic 2D video, but that's about it. I owned one ATI card, and I don't plan to ever own another one after using it with Linux.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

underthehood
Premium
reply to underthehood

OK just an update. I still have Lubuntu and Mint on it. Mint seems to have "settled" in. I reran the updates and the system now seems much faster and smoother. It boots well and everything seems to just "snap". As for video it is not calling for any "special" drivers and IIRC the unit has nVidea

misiek

join:2000-12-25
Round Lake, IL

said by underthehood:

As for video it is not calling for any "special" drivers and IIRC the unit has nVidea

If you prefer to use Nvidia binary drivers, you may want to give "sgfxi" script a look. It will load the driver for you with little or no trouble, assuming that your hardware is not too old and still supported by Nvidia.

yazdzik
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-26
Honesdale, PA
reply to XCOM

Dear Friends,

I am not sure why the ATI issue is still so prevalent- in essence, they have a driver installer that works very well. The distro binaries are hit and miss, but, running the installer outside of x, at least in debian and debian based distros, seems to work fine, with relatively decent performance.

That having been said, while my experience with Unity is limited to trying it for shits and giggles, Gnome3 does appear to use resources enough to slow perceived performance. On otherwise identical laptops, firegl card, one with two gig and the other four of ram, there is a noticeable difference in "feel". Obviously, 3d desktops will consume more resources than 2d, but at 6 gig of RAM, sing the proprietary driver, response in a properly installed system should be at least windows equivalent.

However, that installation is as automatic as the Ubuntu/Mint people would have us believe is at best putative. After install, updates and drivers make a huge difference. Optimised 3d hardware acceleration out of the box with the latest card and open source drivers?

All good wishes,

M
--
Life is a series of return dates. There is but one final argument, its eloquence determines who we were, and whether who we were had meaning.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

RAM is hardly a driver of performance. Unity doesn't consume much RAM.
My laptop is very slow under both Gnome3 and Unity. It is a 32-bit system with 4-gigs of RAM. When I boot up ~300M is in use.
I'm not sure where the performance problem is coming from, but it is not a RAM issue.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Maxo:

RAM is hardly a driver of performance. Unity doesn't consume much RAM.
My laptop is very slow under both Gnome3 and Unity. It is a 32-bit system with 4-gigs of RAM. When I boot up ~300M is in use.
I'm not sure where the performance problem is coming from, but it is not a RAM issue.

Polygons...

Blame the polygons!
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix