Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to MVGeorge

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

said by MVGeorge :

Looked into purchasing a modem and at the end of the day it would take me 25 months to catch up to the price of the paid modem. By then technology will change so you never win.

Maybe but my current TWC provided modem is a DCM425 which goes for $49.95 new or as low as $8.90 used on Amazon. it's hard to justify paying $4/month for this.

shawnunder7

join:2011-10-08
Yeah, mostly the Docsis 3.0 ones are around $80, but getting one of those would be handy for the future i guess. I have a SA one i bought over the summer for $16, that i am still waiting to be activated

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Stacy
The thing is, like I have said, if you do not rent their modem, they are not required to provide you support if they can see you, and they will make damn sure they won't either. The same as they do with your home network. You have a router that is your own, and your Internet doesn't work, don't look for them to provide you with any support unless you disconnect it. The same will be with your modem, you want help, you better have a TWC owned modem to hook up to compare your connection with.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
said by hottboiinnc:

The thing is, like I have said, if you do not rent their modem, they are not required to provide you support if they can see you, and they will make damn sure they won't either. The same as they do with your home network. You have a router that is your own, and your Internet doesn't work, don't look for them to provide you with any support unless you disconnect it. The same will be with your modem, you want help, you better have a TWC owned modem to hook up to compare your connection with.

Support? Like when you wait on the phone for 20 minutes only to be told to unplug the modem and then plug it back in again? Granted, TWC did replace my modem some time back. commenting that the original was really really old, so we can only guess as to the useful life expectancy of these modems.

I came to TWC from a DSL provider who allowed users to do just about anything they pleased and provided genuine one on one support. I already had a wireless network in place when they installed my current connection. No mention of home networks, wireless modems or anything else. In fact, I was given almost no information at all. I had to come to this forum just to find out how to access email and the home page that was supposed to be included. My HDTV was set up for 480 only (via coaxial cable) and I really don't remember what they did with the modem. In the past I've found it much easier to simply swap a box than wait at home for a technician.

Buying your own modem shouldn't let them off the hook for service calls or support but who knows what they'll come up with next.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
No, I mean as in if they see you, no support. They won't even touch your modem. Also they don't have to issue software updates for it either. It will be the customer's problem to support the modem 100%.

You already agree to the service truck roll. It's in their AUP/TOS on all work orders, printed on the back, and is on the TWC national website. And why should they support your modem? You paid for it, you own it, Just like your TV. If it stops working, don't except them to fix it, just like a wireless/home network.

kevyip1

join:2003-03-25
reply to Stacy
said by Stacy:

my current TWC provided modem is a DCM425 which goes for $49.95 new or as low as $8.90 used on Amazon. it's hard to justify paying $4/month for this.

Is the RCA DCM425 still good for Standard service (10mbps down and 1 mbps up)? And how long will it be good for it before TW finds some way to force us to upgrade? The Amazon seller actually charges $9 shipping, but at about $18 it's still a good price. The price is similar in most places.

TW's approved modems only consist of Motorola models. Will there be any issues if I buy the DCM425?

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

No, I mean as in if they see you, no support. They won't even touch your modem. Also they don't have to issue software updates for it either. It will be the customer's problem to support the modem 100%.

So I can flash my modem with Blackcat (no, I do not plan to uncap the modem)?

What happens when dbmv is -10 and 1mbps down?