spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tunerX

join:2012-02-20

DDW3611 native NAT mode and wireless problems.

When I first got the modem I had problems with wireless and wired disconnecting periodically along with a high number of lost packets. I would check my power levels and they seemed fine enough but I always had a high number of correctable and uncorrectable codewords. For 10K worth of pings to google.com or to the UBEE itself. I would about lose about 10-20 percent. Occasionally, I would have to reboot the modem and all would be well for a while.

I read on the forum that you can disable the wireless and use your own wireless AP for which I had a WAP4410N. I disabled the wireless on the UBEE and used the WAP and found that I was more consistent for 10K worth of pings I would only drop 2-5 percent to the google.com and about 1-2 percent pinging the UBEE. Also, correctable and uncorrectable codewords dropped considerably.

I then followed some other advice on the forum and used my own router and put the UBEE into bridge mode. Since then I have completed 40K pings with 0 percent packet loss and my current UBEE cable modem downstream dialog shows zero for correctable and uncorrectable codewords. If I add the NAT mode back in I get packet loss and and codeword errors; If I add the built-in WiFi I get considerably more. This is a 100 percent repeatable process.

Now for the question, why is the UBEE totally useless if you want to use the WIFI and NAT features? It seems as if it does not have the horsepower or possibly the modem contains multiple firmware bugs that make it useless as an all-in-one device.

Throughout the entire 2 month exercise, I have been constantly checking my UBEE statuses, Power Level and RXMer have been consistant throughout all of these discovery exercises.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by tunerX:

When I first got the modem I had problems with wireless and wired disconnecting periodically along with a high number of lost packets. I would check my power levels and they seemed fine enough but I always had a high number of correctable and uncorrectable codewords. For 10K worth of pings to google.com or to the UBEE itself. I would about lose about 10-20 percent. Occasionally, I would have to reboot the modem and all would be well for a while.

I read on the forum that you can disable the wireless and use your own wireless AP for which I had a WAP4410N. I disabled the wireless on the UBEE and used the WAP and found that I was more consistent for 10K worth of pings I would only drop 2-5 percent to the google.com and about 1-2 percent pinging the UBEE. Also, correctable and uncorrectable codewords dropped considerably.

I then followed some other advice on the forum and used my own router and put the UBEE into bridge mode. Since then I have completed 40K pings with 0 percent packet loss and my current UBEE cable modem downstream dialog shows zero for correctable and uncorrectable codewords. If I add the NAT mode back in I get packet loss and and codeword errors; If I add the built-in WiFi I get considerably more. This is a 100 percent repeatable process.

Now for the question, why is the UBEE totally useless if you want to use the WIFI and NAT features? It seems as if it does not have the horsepower or possibly the modem contains multiple firmware bugs that make it useless as an all-in-one device.

Throughout the entire 2 month exercise, I have been constantly checking my UBEE statuses, Power Level and RXMer have been consistant throughout all of these discovery exercises.

one of your problems is you are missing downstream 3 which is 555MHz.

tunerX

reply to tunerX
But I still get the 30 down 5 up. If I had another channel, I would be getting more. It has been channels 1,2,4 for the last two months.

How could channel numbering be a problem if everything is running fine in bridge mode with zero errors? I can run sustained 30/5 using ixchariot between home and work. The minute I switch WiFi on or use NAT mode I get codeword corrections/errors, and dropped packets.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by tunerX:

But I still get the 30 down 5 up. If I had another channel, I would be getting more. It has been channels 1,2,4 for the last two months.

How could channel numbering be a problem if everything is running fine in bridge mode with zero errors? I can run sustained 30/5 using ixchariot between home and work. The minute I switch WiFi on or use NAT mode I get codeword corrections/errors, and dropped packets.

no the amount of channels does not determine your speed you get what you are provisioned for and TWC uses DOCSIS 3.0 for the 30/5 tier so they can load balance the download bandwidth across multiple channels. You have a noise issue because channel 3 is missing which the channel number doesn't matter it is just that the 555MHz channel is missing which indicates you have a noise issue on the line coming into your modem.

tunerX

How does this cause a problem with the UBEE in bridge mode versus NAT mode with WiFi? I only get the problem when the UBEE is in NAT mode with WiFi turned on. Other than that, in bridge mode it works flawlessly missing channel or not. If I turn on NAT and WiFi I lose 10-20 percent of my packets to-and-through the UBEE over ethernet cable and WiFi.

When I made the original post my service was clean and it is still clean. Just for giggles, I enabled NAT and WiFi today after reading your post and about 30 minutes later 10-20 percent packet loss.

You can point to the missing channel and that is fine. Why would it be related to the service running clean in bridge mode?