Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to jpc82

Re: [Internet] Corrupt Downloads

said by jpc82:

I am actually glad you replied. I saw your post in the direct support but couldn't see the details since the posts are private. My mother in law is also in Etobicoke.

Glad to - hopefully now Bell will actually deal with the issue..

This can cause serious issues for the reliability of the systems - I had one program update itself but not verify the download as it installed it (I believe it simply updated by replacing files directly - not in a zip) and soon found the program corrupt and no longer working...

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

what command/program are u using to do the 1 minute mtr?

jpc82

join:2011-02-13
Woodbridge, ON
reply to Mister_E

She is supposed to get a call from someone today, but so far they haven't been able to figure anything out.

Yes, the problem is worse on large files, but I assume it is just a statistical thing. If 1 in 100,000,000 bits is wrong then you will see that in a larger file more often. Since the smaller file may just get lucky and not get a bad bit, but it still could.

Yes, I have told her not to update anything since that is also my worry. At least Microsoft and Apple are smart enough to sign and verify their files so it gets caught, but if they didn't and the 10.8.2 update happened she could have had a broken OS.

jpc82

Woodbridge, ON
reply to Paolo

Not sure what you mean. I just sent her to the link and then got her to click the "Test Anyway" button after it told her she was not pingable.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to jpc82

said by jpc82:

Yes, the problem is worse on large files, but I assume it is just a statistical thing. If 1 in 100,000,000 bits is wrong then you will see that in a larger file more often. Since the smaller file may just get lucky and not get a bad bit, but it still could.

My thoughts exactly.

Whereabouts in Etobicoke - I'm in a Condo near 427 & Rathburn.

Could be an issue with the Remote or wiring or perhaps in the CO itself if we're using the same one...

jpc82

Woodbridge, ON

said by Mister_E:

My thoughts exactly.

Whereabouts in Etobicoke - I'm in a Condo near 427 & Rathburn.

Could be an issue with the Remote or wiring or perhaps in the CO itself if we're using the same one...

She is located close to there on Odessa.