join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to Voxxjin

Re: Best way to clean gutters?

said by Voxxjin:

Good to know. I have never used anything other than my hands before to clean the gutter. Regarding the foam, idk, it just seems like it would backup. Like pouring a lot of water through a sponge. It just seem like it would push the water through all of the foam fast enough. Maybe it is a lot holier than I think it is.

My parents installed a Gutter Helmet on their house a few years ago. But it has no screens. Seems to work pretty well for them.

»www.gutterhelmet.com/

Gutter Helmet is WAY overpriced! No way it's worth that much and small stuff does follow the water around the loop into the gutter. Not a problem is the slope is sufficient to carry that stuff out, but if there are flat areas it will accumulate.

As for the foam, it's not at all like a sponge but more like the nylon mesh that's used to clean dishes. Very open.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Someone here posted an analysis that for the cost of Gutter Helmet, you could hire someone to clean your gutters 3 times a year and come out ahead.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to garys_2k

It might not be a gutterhelmet, it might be a knockoff version but that was the thing I could think of. Anyway whatever they have it looks like a gutterhelmet.

As for the foam, I just checked their website »gutterstuff.com/guttering/ I see it doesn't completely fill the gutter as I thought it did. I just wish the video would show how well it lets leaves 'roll off' the foam.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI

The wind blows them off. The surface isn't any rougher than my screens and they're covered with leaves now, on and off, depending on the wind. This will be the fourth year I haven't had to clean them.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

I will definately consider the foam when we buy our permanent home. Thanks
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

Here's an interesting blog on the subject. This person does not seem to like the foam solution, however it seems a couple of folk from this forum have had positive results with the foam. So, bottom line - sometimes things work, sometimes they don't!
»www.guttertalkblog.com/?p=260

>

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by boaterbob:

Here's an interesting blog on the subject. This person does not seem to like the foam solution, however it seems a couple of folk from this forum have had positive results with the foam. So, bottom line - sometimes things work, sometimes they don't!
»www.guttertalkblog.com/?p=260

>

That site's author seems affiliated with one of the higher priced gutter protection systems, that's for sure.

Like I said, the screen type protectors they deride (and I linked to, above) have been great for me for four (maybe five now) years. Stuff lies on it until it blows off, which it ALWAYS does. My ash tree has been dropping a ton of leaves over the past two weeks and none of them have caused any hint of a clog, at all.

This ain't rocket science and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. The main thing is to keep solid junk out of the gutters as much as possible. Screens, foam inserts, brush inserts, "micro" screens, fancy bent covers, they all should do the same thing: Keep the junk out. The slope of the gutter is critical to it being able to handle the tiny junk that gets in (stuff will get in, no matter what any of the sales guys say).