Search similar:

uniqs

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

What is the best way/course to learn photoshop?

I currently use a very old version of PS elements, and for professional development reasons would like to get some more familiarity with photoshop.

As an example I know that layers exist, but I do not know how to effectively use them.

What are some good ways of doing this?

Kathy_9
Premium Member
join:2005-05-15
Cloud 9

Kathy_9

Premium Member

Layers are great and once you start using them you will wonder how you got along without them.

You can use layers to achieve a different look by duplicating layers and using different blend modes, add elements to an image, add textures, mask out parts of an image, etc.

If you tell us what you are trying to do, one of us can help. But, since I find it easiest to learn by watching, I would recommend doing a search for "how to use Photoshop layers". There are tons of videos on the internet.

Once you understand the basics if you have specific questions post back and one of us will be happy to help you.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 recommendation

dolphins to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
Imagination is the number one driving force behind all art. If you can imagine it and you can create it, it's really that simple.

The Creative Expressions threads are a great way to gain inspiration. I found that the positive feedback here inspires me to be more creative each time. (I'm currently experiencing a creative block) You also feed off other member's creativity. Of course, making it fun will inspire you to be more creative. I started out imagining how I could make a photo humorous. Once I figured out what I wanted to do to the photo, I would search for a tutorial for each specific idea.

A simple search will net you many basic tutorials that you can build from, Youtube has many visual illustrations. I prefer text with illustrations but that's just my preference.

Creating something from a blank slate is the most difficult but is also the most rewarding. The newer versions, CS4 thru 6 make things easier but not required if you are creative. My first version was Photoshop 5.0 LE, it came free with my old all-in-one printer. It wasn't till I acquired CS5 about a year ago that reignited my creativity and willingness to learn.

Having a professional interest will speedup the learning process.

Hope to see you in the CE threads soon.

experiment
@tmodns.net

experiment to Cho Baka

Anon

to Cho Baka
sometime when u have a couple hours just pick any image and try EVERY thi ng that u can click. just play but play with each and every tool

Gavin5
join:2012-10-03
canada

Gavin5 to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
You can see free Photoshop learning tutorials online. I think it will help you to learn Photoshop easily.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
Some very good stuff on here.

»tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
Lynda.com has training videos for all different kinds of software, including Photoshop. I've used them in the past.
Likewise, Scott Kelby training has lots of training videos. I've also used some of their offerings. I like these better than Lynda.

Neither one of these is free.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by vaxvms:

Neither one of these is free.

When I bought CS4 web premium, it came with a month of free Lynda.com training.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
You already have some good suggestions above, but there are almost too many tutorials for PS on the web. When you're starting out it's hard to know which ones are good and which aren't, or if some of them are out of date and make you do stuff the hard way.

Try to find recent tutorials for things similar to what you want to do and play with them. And avoid the temptation to buy addons (an awful lot of people sell them) or collect actions, at least till you have a better feel for your needs. He who dies with the most layers can die broke.

Play and have fun with it. PS is a wonderful program, and you'll do fine.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
I bought and used (still use) the Scott Kelby family of books when I went from PE to PS. I got creative ideas and training from the simple step by step instructions. Most of the old version instructions, and concepts, work with more recent versions of PS. And like everyone else has said, spend time playing with the bazillion functions it provides.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry that I haven't got back to you sooner.
Expand your moderator at work

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates

Re: What is the best way/course to learn photoshop?

said by goalieskates:

He who dies with the most layers can die broke.

But, you'd have a very pretty corpse.