uniqs
share rss forum feed

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Sometimes really smart people can be fooled by a Computer

Garry Kasparov is no dummy but he trusted IBM's Deep Blue to be smart as well and Deep Blue was rather smart, but only most of the time and this lead to Garry's defeat by Deep Blue and a software bug in 1997.

quote:
At the end of the first game, Kasparov had forced Deep Blue into an unsalvageable position after 43 moves, and Deep Blue's response was to move its rook in a way that didn't make any sense to its human opponent. This may have rattled Kasparov, who could not understand the move and may have decided the computer was playing at a higher level than him.

As it turns out, the move really didn't make any sense. According to an anecdote from the book, initially recounted by the Washington Post, a bug in the program, which the engineers thought had been fixed, made it so that when Deep Blue was cornered, it picked a move completely at random.
»www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn···89295576

People, even smart people sometimes fall for the myth that everything a computer outputs is correct, so as developers we have an obligation to do our very best to ensure that computers always output the correct data.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Link Logger:

People, even smart people sometimes fall for the myth that everything a computer outputs is correct, so as developers we have an obligation to do our very best to ensure that computers always output the correct data.

The only correct answer is not to play the game. Or something like that. Joshua taught me that.

If the question is being asked is deterministic, then yes we have an obligation to make sure that the answer is correct. However so many things in life are either non-deterministic, deterministic but seemingly infinitely large state space, or deterministic but with nearly infinite number of inputs to essentially make it non-deterministic. What are we to do in those cases where there is no correct answer but only probable ones?

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger

Computers aren't smart, they're just fast.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4

1 recommendation

I have this argument with myself a lot when coding. "Why isn't this doing what I tell it to do!?" I sit back and remind myself that it's doing exactly what I'm telling it to do. That's all it can do. I'm telling it to do the wrong thing.

bbrkdub

join:2001-10-03
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

The only correct answer is not to play the game. Or something like that. Joshua taught me that.

The phrase you're looking for is, "You can't lose if you don't play."

I learned that one from the best TV series ever (The Wire).
--
Hope this helps...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by bbrkdub:

I learned that one from the best TV series ever (The Wire).

It was around long before that youngster.
quote:
The only winning move is not to play

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to ProtusMose

said by ProtusMose:

I have this argument with myself a lot when coding. "Why isn't this doing what I tell it to do!?" I sit back and remind myself that it's doing exactly what I'm telling it to do. That's all it can do. I'm telling it to do the wrong thing.

A variant of what I often tell my customers: "Unfortunately, computers do EXACTLY what you tell them to do, not what you meant to tell them to do".

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DataDoc

said by DataDoc:

Computers aren't smart, they're just fast.

Neurons aren't smart, they're just numerous.