spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Shut it down!

No point keeping Pirate Bay up. Everything is old on their site and just magnetic links.

steve1515
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

said by brianiscool:

No point keeping Pirate Bay up. Everything is old on their site and just magnetic links.

What do you use instead?
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

1 edit

brianiscool

Kick ass torrents is still kicking. If you're downloading large files I suggest newsgroups instead. When download Ubuntu, Slackware, or Freebsd my speeds are 4.5MB/sec on bitorrent. Where on newsgroups I hit 20MB/sec

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
what's wrong with magnet links? I ask as a usenet user and am not familiar with torrenting.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

If the trackers ever change their IP address or no longer work. The magnetic links will no longer work.
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan

If you enable DHT it will not matter if the tracker's IP address changes.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to ArrayList

to ArrayList
Magnet links are better because theoretically they are not hosting trackers (the locators) (the are the crypto hash name) and thus are not involved in the copyright infringement.

I read the entire TPB was now only like 80 MB because all it needed to host were the magnet links. So there is no reason that data can't be replicated in 100 or more places in someone's dropbox account.

Magnet links use DHT (distributed hash tables) to update their data and find the hive nodes. The latest utorrent allows you to choose what files of a torrent you still want to download.

I agree that Pirate Bay is decreasing in users sue to concerted government efforts, however there are many other avenues to share content.

Just as others have gone, others will come. Content by it's nature wants to be free, and some 1980's revenue maximizing scheme used by content companies needs to adapt to the changing times... There will be no paywall renaissance, regardless of what HBO thinks..
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by elefante72:

Magnet links are better because theoretically they are not hosting trackers (the locators) (the are the crypto hash name) and thus are not involved in the copyright infringement.

Magnet links often suck at finding seeds/peers.

Just a few days ago I went looking for a show that had just aired and the only site that Torrentz found it on was ThePirateBay, which only had a magnet link. I clicked on it and waited. After about 30 minutes it had a total of 1 seed and 11 peers. I checked Torrentz again and there were a couple other sites listed. I went to one, downloaded the torrent, which had several active trackers, and within a minute of importing the torrent file I had about 150 seeds and 300 Peers. My download speed went from 3K/s to 700K/s.

And yes, DHT, Peer Exchange and the like were enabled.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to brianiscool

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

If the trackers ever change their IP address or no longer work. The magnetic links will no longer work.

Wrong.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

?

Almost every torrent I find on the usual suspects is also on pirate bay. New stuff everyday.

Also, never had an issue with magnet links.

PhuckMan1337
@74.198.9.x

PhuckMan1337 to brianiscool

Anon

to brianiscool
You know what is really messed up, TPB down but pedophiles still have there site up.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No ··· ociation

Shows that the US has their priorities straight.