All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
SamHillTX
join:2011-04-30
Fort Worth, TX

SamHillTX

D-Link - Substandard gear, substandard service

First gripe, the online vendor (costcentral.com) I purchased the DSR-250N from will not post my negative review of the product, just an FYI.

It was purchased for a small office set up where one individual *must* have 24/7 connectivity. This product consistently failed to deliver and after approximately 9 hours with level 1 and 2 Business Class support, an RMA was offered.

Which begins the second gripe.

I started the process on Saturday the 22nd of last month, specified cross shipping in order to be up and running sooner rather than later, had a $260 hold was placed on my CC and got the defective unit shipped Monday the 24th.

I received an email confirmation that the process was started, but no followup with a tracking number. I kept an eye on my return and saw arrived on Thursday the 27. Still no tracking number, and no acknowledgement of my return. Friday, at 16:18 CDT, I called D-Link and, after much hemming, hawing and fumbling around, the CS rep admitted they had my unit in house, but said there was something she needed to followup on. She'd call back within 20 minutes, at the latest.

That night I found this, sent nearly two hours after our last conversation, in my inbox:
"Thank you for contacting D-Link Customer Service.  Unfortunately, we don't have stock of the DSR-250N.  I will email you as soon as I receive updated information as to when this unit will become available.  I apologize for any inconvenience and frustration this issue has caused you."
Really? I'm out the initial cost of the "Unified Services Router", the frustration and aggravation of dealing with a unit that randomly lost the ability to resolve DNS for minutes at a time, 9 hours of my LIFE, $23 in shipping and NO ONE THOUGHT TO CHECK STOCK BEFORE PROMISING A CROSS SHIPPED REPLACEMENT?

I replied, noting my immense levels of satisfaction thus far, and on Monday I received:
"We have received your RMA package. Thank you.

The following is a list of the contents of your received package:

1 x DSR-250N - Wireless N SSL VPN Router
1 x AC Power Adapter
1 x Ethernet Cable
1 x Console Cable
1 x Master CD"
Today I phoned, suggesting that if they don't have the DSR250, perhaps a DSR500 could be sent in it's stead. How about ANY COMPARABLE product? I've been promised, again, that "someone will be in touch".

If this is "Business Class" service I'm the Easter Bunny.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Sam Hill TX

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Have you visited the DLink forums. There are specific forums for the DSR series. Please post there and lets see if there can by any help there.
SamHillTX
Fort Worth, TX

SamHillTX

Thanks Bimmer, if I ever receive a replacement unit and it's problematic I'll head on over there for sure.

At this point it's in D-Link's court to get me SOMETHING as a replacement.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to SamHillTX

to SamHillTX
Keep us posted. I hope this will work out.

While we are at it? What ISP service are you using?
What ISP modem, make and model#, if any, information can you provide?

Do other model routers work? Say a SOHO class like a DIR series router?
SamHillTX
Fort Worth, TX

SamHillTX

ISP is Charter, now a 30Mb level service. They provided the modem upgrade, which is a Moto 6121 Docis 3.0.

The D-Link was purchased to replace a nearly decade old Linksys WRT54G running custom firmware (Tomato) that had provided flawless service, but was obviously a choke point on the network.

It was anticipated that the D-Link would be handling 5+ computers (three hardwired, the others wifi / client boxen), 2 or more smartphones and the thermostat for the premises. Sadly it would just randomly conk out on resolving DNS.

Started the whole troubleshooting process with Charter, hoping it was the modem, but attaching that to a dedicated box with no router quickly showed it wasn't the problem.

From there it was D-Link hell, manually configuring, using the Wizard (ugh!), turning off UDP and TCP flood protection, you name it, we tried it.

After I sent that *#$%^! DSR off, I retrieved the Linksys, plugged 'er back in and haven't had an issue since.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to SamHillTX

to SamHillTX
Well I can tell you this that the Motorola SB 6 series modems are wonderful modems. Only think I would make sure is that the ISP signal line levels are correct going in to the modem. Garbage IN, Garbage OUT. Make sure there aren't any cable line splitters before the modem.

I'm thinking that you only have a few computers that need connectivity, that a SOHO class router would be better suited to your needs. Most SOHO class routers can handle this. I have a few of the DIR series and have about 20 devices, not on all at the same time however theres a few. If you need to add more wired devices later on, get you a external GB network switch to add on. They do wonders.

I believe the DSR series routers are meant for much better businesses and need various and specific services which these routers handle. I once considered getting into a DSR series for the home, however looking more closely at them and considering my needs, just didn't make sense. It was way over kill for what I need. This is possible in your case as well. I think the DSR class won't be in your best interest here.

Many of the SOHO class routers handle VPNs, general internet and some low end VOIP like Magic Jack that are not specifically needing VoIP hardware. My roommate works from home and has never complained about his VPN needs.

I would highly recommend getting into a good SOHO class router instead of the DSR series. The DIR series, mainly higher 8 series and 6 Series work well for SOHO. I've tested a few.
SamHillTX
Fort Worth, TX

SamHillTX

Again, thanks Bimmer, but it appears I'll be getting another DSR soon:
After meeting with product management/ warehouse department, the ETA for the DSN-250N is the week of October 14th. It's highly backordered because of high demand for this product.

Did you try returning your original unit to your point of purchase for refund or replacement? Returning to your point of purchase is highly recommended as they may have product in stock and the process is faster.

Once we have units available, we will send out your replacement asap. A tracking# will also be provided once sent.
The funny thing? If returning to my original PoP is so highly recommended, why wasn't that mentioned until now? /shakes head

Will let you know how it goes after the 14th.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to SamHillTX

to SamHillTX
Hope it works out for you. Let us know.
SamHillTX
Fort Worth, TX

SamHillTX

Update: I received the new unit, plugged it in, configured using the wizard and...

Not one of my wireless devices could see it.

Swear, try this, try that, swear again. Plug, unplug, turn off, turn on, swear some more. Call Tech Support.

Yeah, that's good, that's OK, firmware version?
"1.05B22_33," I reply "dated July".
You have the wrong firmware for your region says the tech.
!?!
You need to go out our website and download the latest version and flash the unit.
-.-
So I go to the website and find Firmware v.1.05B20, dated May of this year.
"This is the latest?" I ask
Yup. Flash the unit.
I do.

Lo and behold, my wireless devices connect. Hallelujah!

But wait, there's more.

I mentioned this is a home office, so when we're taking a break or done for the day we fire up Netfilx or Vudu for some TV. So we re-IP our devices sit back and....

Don't connect.
Connect but then hang.
Connect then drop randomly.

So I disable TCP and UDP flood protection (like last time).

Still get hangs on the load screen. Progress bar freezes at 30% or so for up to 120 seconds, then BAM, loads the rest of the way like lightning.
Still have drops during programs.
Random "Cannot connect" boxes.

So. I've had it, this is the proverbial straw. I called the vendor I bought the unit from, fully explained all that I've gone through for a month, got an RMA, and will be shipping this beast off for store credit. There's a Netgear I'm interested in, runs the same firmware I have on my Linksys.

Needless to say I'm *done* with D-Link.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to SamHillTX

to SamHillTX
Sorry that you had a bad experience.

I do believe that the DSR series was not a good solution for your home office needs. DSR routers are meant for corporate and enterprise systems. A DIR series router would have been much better for you needs, more compatible and over all recommended. DIR series routers are a SOHO class router and are designed for these environments. I would recommend you give the DIR series a try.

Both Series and class work well when they are used in there intended environments. I think your trying to use HW that over exceeds your requirements and network needs and is over all incompatible.

Users realistically need to take a good look and review there systems and network needs and desires, then go and do research on routers and specific HW and find out what certain routers may better benefit there needs. Users needs to contact networking Mfrs before hand and ask questions on what best fits there needs. Users should also ask question in forums to get end user feedback, suggestions and recommendations from experienced users.

I believe that if you have done your home work in the first place, you probably won't have posted here regarding the DSR router.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
SamHillTX
Fort Worth, TX

SamHillTX

Bimmer, just to be clear:

In the past I've worked with Cisco, Allied-Tenysin, Watchguard, Linksys, Netgear and D-Link gear.

Our home office has three wired computers, two wired laser printers, NAS, between three and five laptops accessing the network on any given day, two IP capable phones, an IP enabled flatscreen, BR-D, tuner/amp and thermostat.

I researched vendors, features and price points on various hardware in the month preceding my purchase and decided I'd give D-Link a go again.

You see, my previous experience was less than positive, but I thought I'd give them another chance since reviews on the DSR-250N were as positive as they were. My mistake, and one that won't be repeated.

I must add that I take exception to the condescending tone in your last post, it's unwarranted and unappreciated.

As for posting my experience here, I think it's germane, and if it saves one person from the pain I've gone through it will have been time well spent.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to SamHillTX

to SamHillTX
My last post was not meant to be condescending however it is warranted. Each mfr has different products and are compatibly different in HW and for intended uses. I do feel that your experiences are based on assumptions that all HW is the same and should work the same. I agree only to a point. Most HW is NOT the same, however on a standard basis, it should work well and in most cases, does work well when used in it's intended platforms and environments. I also feel that there are some design flaws, be it FW or HW that sometime just crop up from time to time for ALL mfrs.

Generally all products work well out of the box. It's end user configurations and environments that impact functionality 99% of the time.

Yes, your germane input here as brought light to your experiences with this particular router. However, you have failed to try other suggestions and other D-Link model routers to see if any of those would resolve your problem and thus tells me and others that you are just totally biased and against trying some other D-Link model that will probably resolve your problem, which is your choice. I run a 20 device networking household with VPN and multiple printers and wireless devices. Nothing you have expressed here has been seen using many tested D-Link model routers that I have access too. So I'm only here to try to either help you and suggest to you that you do try a different model router to see if that resolves your problem or if not, ya, go with some other mfr that does work for you. However in doing this, I'm here to let others know that this case is isolated and to provide other reviewers that in this case, the problem was not fully explored, tested, probable product unintended uses and has biased unresolved results that maybe unrelated to the product.

It all comes down to were just here to help each other. We all have had certain experiences with very mfr in the world. Were not perfect either. It take some understanding and some additional time and effort in some cases to work with people and with various networking products to get them to work well. Theres too many variables in networking and wireless that make it hard for any mfr to nail down and fully incorporate in to every device. Why we have some standards out there, which are mostly adhered to, some I presume may not be.

So, sorry if I seemed to be condescending, wasn't meant to be, just trying to help you understand and do a little more troubleshooting and offer some suggestions that we recommend you try. If not, then so be it. Life goes on.

Good Luck in your endeavors.