how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

No more good MMORPGs coming out?

For a long time, I was waiting for Torchlight 2, Tera, Guild Wars 2, and even at times MoP. But now, it seems that the pipeline for upcoming good mmorpgs is running dry.

SWTOR - just bad, going F2P (crappy F2P model)
Tera - had lots of promise, but is dieing a miserable death cause just wasn't enough, even with the combat
Torchlight 2 - not a real mmorpg
Diablo 3 - not a real mmorpg
Mysts of Pandas - will not play
Guild Wars 2 - is great, am playing
Blade & Soul - at first I thought it would be great, but the more I read about it, and the more videos I watch of it, it is starting to turn me off to the game, it looks t0o asian grindy and bad
Sevencore - mediocre
Raiderz - mediocre

Firefall - looks great

Is Firefall the only mmofps/mmorpg worth looking forward to?

Titan doesn't even count, who knows when or what it will be.

Seems like nothing good is in the pipeline to come out any time soon!

Guild Wars 2 better last me a long time!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I noticed you didn't mention Secret World--a game that sounds fairly independent in terms of not hand holding, but is hobbled by the pay-per-month subscription model that only premium MMORPGs can pull off (and by that I mean only WoW, as GW2 has set the bar really high as a free game).

I am waiting for Firefall, if for no other reason than the developer was a very early, very vocal voice against SOPA. Politics and gaming rarely coincide, but this is at least one instance where I will reward the developer for a call that was very risky at the time (coming out against GoDaddy when few others were).

That aside, GW2 and MOP just launched, and everyone is busy grinding away (if you're playing WoW) or having a shit-ton of fun in GW2 doing everything.

---

I would be very interested in a really-well done vampire RPG that takes into account much of the lore and concepts/mechanics we see in movies like True Blood, Blade II, and Daybreakers (the Ethan Hawke movie), with maybe a little Underworld thrown in.

You have a mirror society (vampire nation), a limited supply of fresh blood, and enough factions running around there to make things interesting. I would prefer it to mimic EVE's no-hand-holding rules--when you die/hit by UV/staked, game over. Obviously you could have your vampire-on-vampire skirmishes that approach lethal measures, with severe political penalties if you accidentally kill another in sport.

Everyone would start off human, and the skills and knowledge you gain as a human could carry over when you are turned (sucks to be you if the vampire[s] drain you completely, however). It becomes a gain to balance how much preparation you give, to successfully being turned, to staying alive as a vampire.

You could also have a werewolf faction subservient to the vamps, as well as corrupted zombies, that are toxic to vampires as they have no fresh blood in them.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

And on that note, we need another Vampire: Masquerade refresh.

Besice

join:2011-06-16
Tempe, AZ

How about just an all out MMO with all creatures of the night. That might be slightly interesting for a change of pace.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to TheThing

I want a Wild West MMO, ala Red Dead Redemption style.

Give me that, and I'll squeal like a little girl.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheThing

I noticed Kris mentioned Secret World.

It is 50% off on Steam right now by the way.

jack322

join:2012-09-19
reply to TheThing

I would like to see a new MMO. Till then I'll continue playing GW2.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TheThing

Firefall looks promising, but it's taken a while to get to market.

Rumored Elder Scrolls MMO in '13
Planetside 2 single world mmofps, in beta 12/12 release
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4

I'd rather GW2 charge me 15 a month and have more abilities and end game content like WoW classic.
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Also, traditional open world pvp and mounts. The pvp in gw2 was boring as shit. I don't care about manning some catapult or capping a flag it whatever else. I just want to fight people.
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

I also enjoy healing.

Nesse

join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL
reply to Savious

said by Savious:

Also, traditional open world pvp and mounts. The pvp in gw2 was boring as shit. I don't care about manning some catapult or capping a flag it whatever else. I just want to fight people.

You arent going to see mounts for awhile... if ever. They specifically talked about the reason for NOT including mounts in the game and ... paraphrasing here to try and its because they wanted the world to feel very large. I think the vistas do a great job of pushing that along. Also, WTF do you need mounts, with all the waypoints (unless they are contested as many seem to be in the higher levels) quickly traveling from point A to point B is usually fast and painless.

@ Ghastly... its worth noting that The Secret World themselves also had a 50% sale over the weekend.

That leads me to believe that TSW isnt doing so well. And unless they have changed the models since I last looked at the gameplay, it looks like they run with sticks up their butts and the attack model(s) are a bit on the lame side as well with what appeared to be one very repetitive attack.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Savious

said by Savious:

I'd rather GW2 charge me 15 a month and have more abilities and end game content like WoW classic.

Let's see. According to my count on my Necromancer, I have 39 abilities at my disposal. Not including any of my Death Shroud abilities.

End game content in vanilla WoW was nearly non existent upon release. PVP battlegrounds didn't even exist either.

Did you even run any dungeons in GW2 before quitting at all? Story modes or explorable?

And what would having mounts change at all?

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Savious

I don't think you played long enough, man....what you're asking for is there. I mean, you unlock abilities all the way up, but instead of the game handing them to you, and holding out, you get to choose which ones you want, and those that you don't. You would actually prefer it if the game chose what skills you get and when you get them....this would be an improvement?

Did you do Wv3 pvp as well as structured? There is plenty of "fighting ppl" there....more than you could ask for, so I'm not sure what you're wanting....if you want 1v1, then maybe you have a gripe, but not having anyone to fight is definitely not a problem.

As far as healing, theres all you can handle, bro...Guardian, Elementalist all have healing traits, and possibly other classes...not my thing, so I haven't looked that deeply.

Bottom line is, you don't like it, you don't like it...not gonna try and convince ya, but I don't know that you really got the full experience....and if you did, coolio...see ya in the next game.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by Koil:

As far as healing, theres all you can handle, bro...Guardian, Elementalist all have healing traits, and possibly other classes...not my thing, so I haven't looked that deeply.

There was a trolling thief healing build on the subreddit not to long ago. You basically took traits that drastically reduced your revive spell and shadow-stepped to a fallen ally, go invis, and near-instant rez them.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to Savious

Seems like Savious See Profile wants GW2 to be another WoW clone, and that's cool. It was a given that, since A-Net changed so much from what has defined the MMO genre it wouldn't be for everyone. But it's not a WoW clone, it does things differently on purpose, and I for one am very glad. There are a metric ton of WoW clones out there already.

I just couldn't get into The Secret World or Tera (beta'd them both), but I have been waiting on Firefall for a long time. I saw a Total Biscuit preview of Raiderz and it looks fun; from what I understand you craft weapons directly in the field from monster drops (this could have changed). Not really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls MMO yet, from what I heard it's more traditional and that seems like it could be taking a step backward.

I think the perfect MMO for me would take Tera's combat and combine it with GW2's...everything else. GW2 is halfway there combat wise and is more action oriented than most, but Tera really took it all the way. I HATED the questing in Tera though.

TheThing

Tera's world feels very cold and non-immersive compared to GW2

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheThing

I'll never knock an MMO until I've at least played all the way to max level and either run some dungeons or raids.

Getting a character to level 10 and quitting and then complaining about how there's no "end game" is beyond retarded.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Ill admit I only got to level 30 before quitting. However, the unlocked abilities on both characters I got felt really underwhelming. I did some Hidden Mists or whatever PvP and got to play around with an 80. I was really, really disappointed with what I found. All my Elemantalist skills felt droll and had very long cool downs.

Even on the Guardian it felt like I was given all my abilities so soon. I know there were a ton of utility skills that I could have unlocked, but none of them seemed particularly exciting, not to mention spending skill points Willy nilly seemed counter productive considering you needed to use them to craft or purchase end game items.

Talking PvP, nothing felt concrete. Nothing made me feel like my actions were particularly strong or powerful. Everyone just seemed to be button mashing. There was no synergy to your abilities. I didn't feel like I needed to stun or fear my opponent to start a chain of powerful attacks. Rather, I just swapped between attinements and used skills as they came off CD. I had no resources to manage other than my health.

I'm not saying the game wasn't awesome, but it didn't make me feel like playing it was going to invoke a lot of thought. I didn't run through various builds on my head. Talent points just provided passives and buffs to stats that inspired very little creativity. I missed the hybrid builds of WoWs golden era.

Fights just felt boring. Dodge dodge kite whatever. Same moves every single fight, and nothing to look forward to in 50 levels! Or maybe I unlock some low damage 30cd skill? Come on.

Mounts are fun. And I still did a lot of tmtunning around, especially when grouped with someone trying to come to my quest zone as a different race. Sure, I can travel to their home city, but then I have to run tun run through 5 zones to get there.

Not to mention doing 100% map completion on lowbie zones. That's a lot of wasted time running.
--

TheThing

reply to TheThing

GW2 toolkit is simplified to a point compared to WoW, but simplified only once the action begins, because you can only swap between 2 sets, not the full 8 or whatever

but when you take into consideration all your various weapon abilities (8x5 or whatever), the tool kit is very large, and with skills you get from ability points then the toolkit is even larger.

my honest opinion is that you didn't play long enough

LoL has a VERY simplified tool kit for champs... 5... but no one says it underwhelming... if anything it takes lots of skill to use the 5 correctly... similar to GW2, and swaping weps

running through builds... i don't think you took enough time to see that many builds do exist, it just depends on how you spend your trait points...

GW2 does have as many abilities per class as WoW, and the various builds are as involved as WoW

once the action begins, the toolkit is simplified, but to use them correctly is not trivial (similar to LoL)

sorry if I used the incorrect terms, like abilities, traits, skills whatever... lol, but i think you'll understand

TheThing

reply to TheThing

as an example with my warrior

I put 10 trait points into one tier to get +10% movement

and then I put another 10 trait points into another tier to get +200 toughness when stunned or whatever (turtle)

you could turn it into a WoW skill tree, but the way GW2 has it layed out gives it more meaning per individual point applied than WoW

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Guardian has a maximum of 18 skills available to them, and this is counting if you don't take any passives, include auto attack and the 45s cds you start with.

Wooo.
--

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to TheThing

The problem, at least to me, isn't that the skills don't exist, it's that the large majority of them are underwhelming. On my Ranger, I feel like I'm spending 90% or more of the time auto-attacking. Sure, I have a couple of cooldowns to use if I feel like it, and I can swap weapons and use a few more in a really long fight, but most of the time then I'm standing around waiting for them to be usable again while my auto-attack does most of the damage. There also doesn't seem to be any real rotation or timing to using the skills, and very few have any synergy with each other (combo fields combo with my auto-attack, so once the combo field is down, whether my own or someone elses, I don't need to do anything to make use of them for example, I just keep auto-attacking), so it feels like hitting buttons for the sake of hitting buttons a lot of the time.

In other games, you get the skills as you go along, but those skills usually genuinely make your character feel stronger. In GW2, nothing I've gotten outside of the weapon skills themselves has really made me feel like I could tackle more challenges, or have more fun with the character. I have an extra button or two to press in the 7-0 skills, but if you took them away, I might kill things a bit slower, but there'd be no major change. Originally, I thought this might just be an issue with the Ranger, but I tried a couple of other classes for a bit and found they felt similarly.

It's unfortunate, as there are some things the game does really well, but I'm rapidly realizing that it's probably not a game that's going to hold my interest.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

TheThing

reply to TheThing

one of the differences between GW2 and WoW, is that in WoW per what was said above, some skills become irrelevant, and unused replaced by new more powerful skills

in GW2, if you use 2 sets of weapons, none of the skills become irrelevant, you use them all

also, i personally think it's excellent that you aren't using 20 skills, but 8-9, and simplifying the toolkit during combat

this simplification is required since GW2's combat relies on you actually dodging and moving... no spank and tank

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
reply to Zupe

You should be swapping to a second weapon, and using the skills for that one while the others are on CD. You can even mix weapons combo fields and finishers.

On my Elem, I can start in Fire (using scepter dagger) drop a hellacious combo using 6-7 skills, that will generate (if you're fast) up to 10 stacks of might, all in about 5 seconds. From then, I can swap to almost any other element (I usually go with earth, but air is pretty nice as well) and then start nailing the shit out of baddies with my 10x might pumped up ass...even just the auto-attack does hellacious dmg. Flipping to Air, you drop to 2 instant attacks and then ride the lightning straight to the baddy, use updraft to knock his ass back, then swap back to fire and start the combo over again...this all happens so fast it's awesome....and I didn't even talk about having my golem out, which adds some additional dmg or perks, depending on the element.

Telling ya...it's deeper than you think. All of the standard attack abilities and combos they provide, and then the abilities you get from your traits and skill pts, which add whole other different combos, its very complex. I think you guys need to go back and look and see what builds are out there and WHY ppl are using them, there is definitely synergy between them...the whole system is built on synergy for your skills, and that's not even talking about what you can do with another complementing class that can work off of your combo fields / finishers.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Savious

said by Savious:

Guardian has a maximum of 18 skills available to them, and this is counting if you don't take any passives, include auto attack and the 45s cds you start with.

Wooo.

What? Saying the Guardian has 'a maximum' of 18 skills is as crazy as saying 'end game' sucks when you didn't get within 49 levels of max before you quit. I count 30 weapon skills alone, not counting aquatic, healing, utility, elite, downed, and auxilliary skills. The GW2 wiki isn't websensed for me so here's a link:

»wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of···n_skills

I didn't copy and paste due to formatting and length, but needless to say there are way more than 18 there. You are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding the game, but number of skills isn't an opinion, and you are wrong. The difference you don't seem to like is that you don't get a button for each one; you have to choose which ones to unlock and equip at a time.

Zupe See Profile, how far did you get on your ranger? Because there are lots of utilities and abilities on my engineer that make him feel stronger. Different utilities work better in different situations. It also depends on how you're specced. A poison AOE isn't going to do much if you haven't specced into condition damage.

Bottom line: if you're playing GW2 like WoW, expecting WoW, you won't get WoW and will be disappointed. You have to put the time in and learn a new game. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative, but faulting it because it's not WoW is wildly missing the point.

Anyway this didn't start out to be a GW2 thread but got derailed lol, sorry TheThing See Profile.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

said by bionicRod:

Zupe See Profile, how far did you get on your ranger? Because there are lots of utilities and abilities on my engineer that make him feel stronger. Different utilities work better in different situations. It also depends on how you're specced. A poison AOE isn't going to do much if you haven't specced into condition damage.

I'm at level 58. This is the build I was working towards - »www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/ranger···0|0|0|0|
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Zupe:

said by bionicRod:

I'm at level 58. This is the build I was working towards - »www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/ranger···0|0|0|0|

Cool. You've still got a lot of points to earn and spend to further tailor your build, but you should have a decent idea by now if you're going to like the game or not. I tend to like the fact that mobs provide more of a challenge to kill than other games, and they seem to have more health in general than trash mobs in other games. That may be why you feel less powerful and it may come down to personal preference. In my experience what abilities you use when does make a difference. I'm running a DOT build and can definitely tell if I don't get that bleed or burn or poison off in a timely manner.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to bionicRod

18 skills I can use in a given fight. 5+5 for swap, 1 healing, 3 utility 1 ultimate. Then your 3 pseudo skills, F1-F3.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Savious:

18 skills I can use in a given fight. 5+5 for swap, 1 healing, 3 utility 1 ultimate. Then your 3 pseudo skills, F1-F3.

You can switch weapons, utilities and elites any time you're not in combat. That's where the thought comes in about what works best with what in what situations with what builds.

It's just different than you're used to is all, and it doesn't seem like your cuppa joe. But it's definitely not shallow or broken just because it's not what you're used to. If you like every skill available to you all the time with 40 buttons on your screen and endless raiding for gear at max level there's no shortage of that in the genre. I never liked that though so I am glad ANet did something different and created a world I can get immersed in.