Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

Looking for answer - How many CyberSec Incidents each year?

The US Gov warns about the rising number Cyber Security Incidents.
I started wondering: How many Cyber Security Incidents were there last year?

Of course not all incidents are recorded, I'm just looking for the count of the ones that were.
If the Feds are still tallying the numbers, I'll settle for their official estimates.

The Federal Gov itself experienced ~43k incidents in 2011 (up from ~42k in 2010).
So the Feds got a small bump up in risk.

But how many were Cyber Security Incidents did the Feds record for the rest of the US?

I'm certain the Fed's endless dire warnings for the US are based on actual numbers. I'm just having some trouble finding those numbers.

Could someone here point me to them?
--
Campaign contributions influence laws through a process called bribery.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House
quote:
the number of incidents reported to ICS-CERT reached 190 in 2011, up from 41 in 2010 and nine in 2009
I can add 190 incidents to the total. That's progress.

Thanks!
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
Can we add justin b puking on the stage and research milk mixed with spaghetti and spicy meatballs ? That almost brought yutubee down last week.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by Name Game:

Can we add justin b puking on the stage and research milk mixed with spaghetti and spicy meatballs ?

I don't know if Bieber Security Incidents count.
--

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to Noah Vail
define 'CyberSec Incidents' and would you like the total broken down into attacks by and attacks against and self attacked?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by Link Logger:

1) define 'CyberSec Incidents' and
2) would you like the total broken down into attacks by and attacks against and self attacked?

#1 Well, I'll just use whatever definition for CyberSec Incident the government uses.

#2 Yes.
--

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to Noah Vail
Getting Closer.

said by reuters :

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget said in March that a total of 107,655 security incidents were reported in fiscal 2011 by federal, state and local governments, commercial enterprises, U.S. citizens and international cyber organizations.

Federal agencies are required to report such incidents, but corporate reports are voluntary.

As to that last sentence, most states require some sort of notification if a Data Breach occurred.

said by ncsl :

State Security Breach Notification Laws

Forty-six states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands have enacted legislation requiring notification of security breaches involving personal information.

List of Laws by State Here.

--

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to Noah Vail
If you're not counting evil cookies, you're not serious about addressing cyber incidents

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Noah Vail
Senate panel criticizes anti-terrorism data-sharing centers

The scores of 'fusion centers' across the country threaten civil liberties while doing little to counter terrorism, a two-year study by a Senate subcommittee finds.

Senate investigators concluded that Homeland Security liaisons to the centers "forwarded 'intelligence' of uneven quality — oftentimes shoddy, rarely timely, sometimes endangering citizens' civil liberties and Privacy Act protections, occasionally taken from already-published public sources, and more often than not unrelated to terrorism."

The investigators also found that some local analysts had written inappropriate and potentially illegal reports about constitutionally protected activities of American citizens. Homeland Security officials prevented most from being disseminated.

»www.latimes.com/news/nationworld···35.story

Another waste of Federal Grants...

Last year, for example, the Illinois Statewide Terrorism and Intelligence Center in Springfield published a report asserting that a hacker in Russia had stolen an unknown number of user names and passwords to sensitive utility control systems and used that information to break into a local water district's computerized control system.

In fact, the "hacker" was a utility employee who had accessed the system legitimately while on a family vacation, the report found.

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1
I love it when I have to go all the way to the LA Times to get a reference to the source document! Why can't this information be found on the New York Times and Washington Post websites?
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
said by jvmorris:

I love it when I have to go all the way to the LA Times to get a reference to the source document! Why can't this information be found on the New York Times and Washington Post websites?

You can...if you want to hear what liberman and Matt Chandler use for excuses on their clearinghouse.

Homeland Security’s ‘fusion centers’ defended in response to sharply critical Senate report

»www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat···ory.html

But they did have a moment of understanding..

DHS ‘fusion centers’ portrayed as pools of ineptitude, civil liberties intrusions

»www.washingtonpost.com/investiga···ory.html

I like this one the best

The Senate report said local and state officials entrusted with the fusion center grants sometimes spent lavishly. More than $2 million was spent on a center for Philadelphia that never opened. In Ohio, officials used the money to buy rugged laptop computers and then gave them to a local morgue. San Diego officials bought 55 flat-screen televisions to help them collect “open-source intelligence” — better known as cable television news.

Along with the $45K SUV for a city official to "commute".

--
Gladiator Security Forum

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House
If you're looking for some insight into Fusion Centers (and willing to browse a little), you'll find info here.

Side note: I was browsing the location list last year.
The one closest to me (Orlando) seemed to be out of operation. I tried to determine ownership of the site but it got weird.

IIRC, GSA originally owned the site as surplus but then sold it to a holding company just before the FC opened.
Then the place was only open a few years before it closed down - but DHS still listed it as active.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

I towed my cyberAirstream to LA to get the information. The scenery wasn't great, but the mileage was fantastic

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
Hmm..the fusion center might have been tracking you..I have it on good authority that homeland security follows Airstreams across the Nation to make sure they are not parked next to critical Infrastructures and taking pictures.

Greg Palast had that problem a few years back.
»www.gregpalast.com/palast-charge···-degree/
--
Gladiator Security Forum