join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

Army says we're Radical Extremists - Because Twitter

Recently, we've seen the US Military
declaring WikiLeaks an Enemy of the State and
• witch-hunting solders for showing support for Bradley Manning.

Today, I came across the Wired article titled Army Says ‘Social Network’ Use Is a Sign of Radicalism.

In it I learn we learn that if we do the stuff listed below we might just be:
said by wiredmag :

a terrorist who will soon kill your co-workers, according to the U.S. military.

• You’ve recently changed your “choices in entertainment.”
• You have “peculiar discussions.”

• You “complain about bias,”
• you’re “socially withdrawn” and
• you’re frustrated with “mainstream ideologies.”

Your “Risk Factors for Radicalization” include
• “Social Networks” and
• “Youth.”

These are some other signs that one of your co-workers has become a terrorist, according to the U.S. military.
He “shows a sudden shift from radical to ‘normal’ behavior to conceal radical behavior.”
He “inquires about weapons of mass effects.”
He “stores or collects mass weapons or hazardous materials.”

The Military also printed up this chart full of important colors to help regular folks make certain observations about their friends and coworkers.

Who here is Socially Withdrawn? Not me. Really.
--
Campaign contributions influence laws through a process called bribery.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Sadly this is what we've come to expect from the beast aka the government who starts wildly oppressing it's citizens, trying to toss the constitution and bill of rights into the toilet via the TSA, Dept of Homeland Security and Patriot Act all in the name of 'security' and 'terrorism' while any push back from it is labeled radicalization and violent extremism.

I personally don't care for social networking from the likes of Facebook/Twitter as I'll never use them since the letter agencies look over the willing info and pictures the sheep put up to collect on the roughly 50% who use them.

In the end it won't matter when the second Civil War starts within the next few years as you can only put a lid on a boiling pot of water for so long before it blows it's top.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Noah Vail
It seems to be all the focus out there since this was published.. and if you go to each link and click on the title you can read the articles.

Radicalization into Violent Extremism I: A Review of Social Science Theories

Dr. Randy Borum is a Professor in the College of Behavioral and Community Sciences at the University of South Florida. He conducts strategic analyses and research focused on armed groups, countering extremist violence, and complex operations/irregular warfare.

»scholarcommons.usf.edu/jss/vol4/iss4/2/

Radicalization into Violent Extremism II: A Review of Conceptual Models and Empirical Research
Abstract

Over the past decade, analysts have proposed several frameworks to explain the process of radicalization into violent extremism (RVE). These frameworks are based primarily on rational, conceptual models which are neither guided by theory nor derived from systematic research. This article reviews recent (post-9/11) conceptual models of the radicalization process and recent (post-9/11) empirical studies of RVE. It emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between ideological radicalization and terrorism involvement, though both issues deserve further empirical inquiry.Finally, it summarizes some recent RVE-related research efforts, identifies seven things that social science researchers and operational personnel still need to know about violent radicalization, and offers a set of starting assumptions to move forward with a research agenda that might help to thwart tomorrow's terrorists.

»scholarcommons.usf.edu/jss/vol4/iss4/3/

Radicalization to Violence: What It Is, and What It Isn’t

»www.policechiefmagazine.org/maga···id=22012

And then from your article..

Not From the Onion: Army Says ‘Social Network’ Use Is a Sign of Radicalism

If underreporting suspicious behavior is a problem within the U.S. military, soldiers and Marines in Afghanistan probably won’t have a problem reporting their suspicious about Afghans now that over 50 U.S. and allied troops have been killed by their Afghan counterparts this year. Marine Gen. John Allen, the commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, told 60 Minutes on Sunday that he’s “mad as hell” at the attacks, and while his troops are willing to sacrifice for the war, “we’re not willing to be murdered for it.” Woe to Afghans deemed “reclusive” or engaging in “peculiar discussions” in the eyes of troops who don’t share their culture.

»www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/10···-threat/

This is not peculiar discussion.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Noah Vail
To put this in perspective, before the tin hats come out, from the same source:

That was the assessment of a terrorism advisory organization inside the U.S. Army called the Asymmetric Warfare Group in 2011, acquired by Danger Room. Its concern about the warning signs of internal radicalization reflects how urgent the Army considers that threat after Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan shot and killed 13 people at Ford Hood in 2009.

And from the top of the chart itself:

There is no way to be 100% certain that an individual is becoming radicalized to the point that they may be considering violent action. However, recent experiences show that there are certain warning signs, or early indicators, worth review. The information below is a general guide for military personnel and leaders at every level to give the user a basic understanding of when further action might be warranted. This guide requires the user to understand the fine line between the protection of one’s rights to privacy and the need to protect others. It should be used in the same judicious manner one uses a chart with indicators of suicide. The graphic on the left shows possible indicators of radicalization from the inception of the thought increasing up to the level of violent action. The indicator decision chart on the right outlines a step-by-step process for identifying, evaluating, and responding to possible indicators at each level.

»www.wired.com/images_blogs/dange···0911.pdf
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Stuff . . .

This is not peculiar discussion.

Fair enough. I consider myself reoriented and withdraw my insinuations.
--
Campaign contributions influence laws through a process called bribery.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Keeping under the radar, are we?

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Noah Vail
Just be careful out there..Some like it Hot.

»rt.com/usa/news/joke-marilyn-bry···roe-197/

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Yes, if you come to Amerika, and don't use the local slang, God help you...

Damn furriners need to stay home!
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

Today, I came across the Wired article titled Army Says ‘Social Network’ Use Is a Sign of Radicalism.

Actually it says it (social networks) is a risk factor not a sign. And youths are more easily 'molded' than someone older into a radical/terrorist. So is socially withdrawn, conflicts at home or work, and being emotional. Just because you might have one or two of these risk factors doesn't mean you will become a radical but it can lead to radicalization. The chart you show gives a better indication of a person developing into a radical.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Noah Vail
FBI offering $50G reward for Massachusetts man wanted for supporting Al Qaeda
October 03, 2012

One of Abousamra’s distinguishing characteristics is his higher-pitched voice, which can be heard on the FBI’s website. He also has dual U.S. and Syrian citizenship, is fluent in English and Arabic, and has a college degree in computer technology.

Abousamra’s co-conspirator, Taerk Mehanna, was convicted of terrorism charges by a federal jury in December 2011. He was sentenced last year to more than 17 years in prison.

“Both men were radicalized and used the Internet to educate themselves,” said Special Agent Heidi Williams, a member of the Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) in Boston. “They came to it independently, but once they found each other, they encouraged each other’s beliefs.”

Both Abousamra and Mehanna were inspired by the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, she said.

“They celebrated it,” Williams said.

»www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/03/ma···offered/
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/