fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA

Re: New Nest Thermostat- 2 stage

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by nunya:

That thermostat nearly costs as much as my furnace. I can't believe they are still around. It reminds me of an old saying among con men: "There's a mark born every minute, and one to trim 'em and one to knock 'em".

$250 for a thermostat. It has to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Well, compared to leaving your thermostat at 75 all year long I'm sure it would pay for itself.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Hey I have a 18 SEER Heat Pump. My last bill was for 800 kWh. You can burn up in your mega homes but I'm going to be cool and comfortable in mine. It's my choice and really none of your business.

Right now 82 outside 75 inside.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Seems like that should work both ways. Some users believe there is value in the Nest. Yet instead of discussing the technical merits of the Nest you seem to be trying to make the case that what works best for you is what is best for all. From what you have posted, you have no need for any kind of programmable thermostat as you only have two settings in your house, summer and winter. Nothing wrong with that but perhaps others prefer to live differently.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Seems like that should work both ways. Some users believe there is value in the Nest. Yet instead of discussing the technical merits of the Nest you seem to be trying to make the case that what works best for you is what is best for all. From what you have posted, you have no need for any kind of programmable thermostat as you only have two settings in your house, summer and winter. Nothing wrong with that but perhaps others prefer to live differently.

I tend to agree robbin but I'm just answering the posts touting the "benefits" of this new high dollar electronic toy (IMO and my word). You have to acknowledge that part of the reason for many of the posts is touting the wow factor. I still can't understand someone in bed using changing the thermostat as a normal action. The average dude is not going to be doing this.(again IMO) (I am allowed an opinion I presume)

As for value? I don't think it does that much more or any better than many other higher end products on the market that sell for much less. (again my opinion)

But point taken. I'll just read on the sideline and when you think I can post again on this topic let me know.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by Jack_in_VA:

I still can't understand someone in bed using changing the thermostat as a normal action. The average dude is not going to be doing this.

I can definitely think of times when it would be nice to do so. I still work up a sweat in bed on regular occasions!

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by robbin:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I still can't understand someone in bed using changing the thermostat as a normal action. The average dude is not going to be doing this.

I can definitely think of times when it would be nice to do so. I still work up a sweat in bed on regular occasions!

So did my wife when she was going through the "change".

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA

I still can't understand someone in bed using changing the thermostat as a normal action. The average dude is not going to be doing this.(again IMO)

I have a two story house. The thermostat is down stairs. I also have dogs that sleep in the bed that can make it a pain in the ass to get back to sleep should I get out of the bed.

With a two story house, it's sometimes more complicated than just setting the thermostat to X degrees and enjoying a consistent temperature. If the cycle stops for a long time, it may heat up upstairs and remain cool downstairs.

I leave an old iPhone sitting next to the bed. It's great to be able to control the thermostat if I wake up and feel hot (or turn the heat on and wait under the warm covers, if it's a cold morning). I can also control the ceiling fan and lights from the same controller. My next project is motorized curtains.

It's not all that far fetched or crazy. The Aria hotel in Vegas has this same sort of home automation stuff in their hotel rooms.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

I leave an old iPhone sitting next to the bed.

$250 thermostat controlled by $500 remote.
Makes sense to me.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I've got an old iPhone I'll sell you for $500 if you really think they are worth that much.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by djrobx:

I leave an old iPhone sitting next to the bed.

$250 thermostat controlled by $500 remote.
Makes sense to me.

It's an original EDGE iPhone. Since you're such a great guy, I'll let it go for $400.