uniqs
share rss forum feed

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to El Quintron

Re: DTV illegal in Canada? What is the legal justification?

said by El Quintron:

Secondly, there's the matter of rights; which is that Canadian carriers have paid for exclusive rights to broadcast these shows on these same frequencies they've paid to do business on.

Yup its a weird system we have up here. Mostly because we freely have access to US channels (through OTA or cable subscriptions). Somehow the TV climate in Canada evolved to having several major Canadian networks who primarily regurgitate content from the major US networks and dump their commercials overtop and make is pay for it.

The laws are in place to protect that business model It's weird because if we didn't have the Canadian channels then we could watch the same content without simsubs and have cheaper cable bills. Win-Win.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by zod5000:

The laws are in place to protect that business model It's weird because if we didn't have the Canadian channels then we could watch the same content without simsubs and have cheaper cable bills. Win-Win.

Sim-subs, yes. Cheaper, not too likely. Canadian broadcast networks are still free to carry for the cable/satellite companies, US networks aren't.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

said by bt:

said by zod5000:

Sim-subs, yes. Cheaper, not too likely. Canadian broadcast networks are still free to carry for the cable/satellite companies, US networks aren't.

I don't see how thats even relevant when the so-called "Canadian broadcast networks" ARE the BDU's.

Its like a bad copyright law that was lobbied for entirely on behalf of big business. You're just protecting Bell/Rogers/etc by making out of country subscription TV illegal.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
reply to bt

So anyone want to provide an answer to the op question. Is it illegal to subscribe to and pay for Direct TV or Dishnetwork in Canada. Who cares about if it takes money away from Bell or some other cable provider. The OP is looking for an actual criminal code offence with relation to paying for American satellite in Canada.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

said by scorpido:

So anyone want to provide an answer to the op question. Is it illegal to subscribe to and pay for Direct TV or Dishnetwork in Canada. Who cares about if it takes money away from Bell or some other cable provider. The OP is looking for an actual criminal code offence with relation to paying for American satellite in Canada.

Its illegal, but I doubt anyone is going to come looking for your DirecTV dish anytime soon. It was moreso the grey market reseller business here in Canada that got nailed.

At one point you could call somebody up and have DirecTV or Dish installed for you, and the US address, billing, etc all taken care of for you.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to scorpido

said by scorpido:

You cannot subscribe to an American television service with a Canadian address and or credit card.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON

There are a million ways to still subscribe. If you have family in the states or just buy a post office box.

bt

canada
reply to Spike

said by Spike:

said by bt:

I don't see how thats even relevant when the so-called "Canadian broadcast networks" ARE the BDU's.

Separate arms of the same parent company. It's all shuffling money around on paper... until it's used as a justification to bill the customer for it.

bt

canada
reply to scorpido

said by scorpido:

Is it illegal to subscribe to and pay for Direct TV or Dishnetwork in Canada.

Yes, it is illegal.

The Radiocommunication Act Section 9(1)(c): "No person shall…decode an encrypted subscription programming signal or encrypted network feed otherwise than under and in accordance with an authorization from the lawful distributor of the signal or feed"

The Supreme Court determined (in 2002, this isn't recent) that US Satellite TV providers are not "lawful distributors" in Canada under the act, therefore there is no one who can actually authorize you to decode a US sourced satellite signal in Canada.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to scorpido

said by scorpido:

There are a million ways to still subscribe. If you have family in the states or just buy a post office box.

Illegally leaching off a family members account is illegal.

If your not an American living in america you cannot legaly have american tv service.

bt

canada

said by OHSrob:

If your not an American living in america you cannot legaly have american tv service.

Pretty sure you can be any nationality, as long as you're living there...

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to OHSrob

said by OHSrob:

Leaching is probably a violation of their ToS but not illegal per Se, there are also technical obstacles to getting service from Canada.

said by OHSrob:

If your not an American living in America you cannot legally have American tv service.

All broadcasts in Canada have to be approved/mandated by the CRTC, so the obstacle here is Canadian law, irrespective of your citizenship status.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

rob23234

@cnrl.com
reply to bt

agreed, I am Canadian and spend 2 months a year in the U.S.

I signed up no problem (had to pay a deposit sans-ssn), and even used autopay with my Canadian CC ..(called RBC and added my US address as a secondary long ago)

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to OHSrob

said by OHSrob:

said by scorpido:

Thread from CanChat: »Satellite question

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

The topic was pretty well covered, but one argument wasn't addressed - "if you pay for it, it can't be illegal." What about crystal meth? You have to pay for that too, but the forces of law and order might have some issues with you having any amount on your person
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

johnkim

join:2011-10-01

said by FiReSTaRT:

The topic was pretty well covered, but one argument wasn't addressed - "if you pay for it, it can't be illegal." What about crystal meth? You have to pay for that too, but the forces of law and order might have some issues with you having any amount on your person

I don't want to get into the debate of the drug policy but ask any normal person that you can go to jail if you subscribe to Dish/DTV (nasdaq symbol of directv), they will think it is insane.

Law should make sense and comply with what the society believes to be the acceptable behaviour.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by johnkim:

Law should make sense and comply with what the society believes to be the acceptable behaviour.

If nothing else, this thread tells you why things are the way they are. It is considered acceptable in Canada, mostly for copyright and licensing reasons, to not allow free access to American satellite signals. You can believe differently, but what you have is the way it is, for good and legitimate reasons.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

said by DKS:

It is considered acceptable in Canada, mostly for copyright and licensing reasons, to not allow free access to American satellite signals. You can believe differently, but what you have is the way it is, for good and legitimate reasons.

Acceptable to who? And legitimate to who?

I don't consider (morally or ethically) that it is a crime to "infringe on someones business model".

I see picking up a US satellite TV signal to be no different to when I was a kid and watching the Buffalo stations via a tall antennae. As far as I'm concerned, get a US post office box, US credit card, pay for it, and watch it with a crystal clear conscience. Might you get fined? Sure. You might also win the lottery.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by Ian:

said by DKS:

It is considered acceptable in Canada, mostly for copyright and licensing reasons, to not allow free access to American satellite signals. You can believe differently, but what you have is the way it is, for good and legitimate reasons.

Acceptable to who? And legitimate to who?

I don't consider (morally or ethically) that it is a crime to "infringe on someones business model".

I see picking up a US satellite TV signal to be no different to when I was a kid and watching the Buffalo stations via a tall antennae. As far as I'm concerned, get a US post office box, US credit card, pay for it, and watch it with a crystal clear conscience. Might you get fined? Sure. You might also win the lottery.

When you are bypassing the rights of the broadcasters, who paid very good money for the right to distribute a program in Canada, it's theft. That's a crime. Rationalize it any way you want, but in law, it's still theft. Don't like it? Change the law. But so far, the rights of the distributor are pretty clear. And the right to block is also grounded in law, unless you pay the distributor. That's their business model and how they make money.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.