share rss forum feed

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit

U-Verse ADSL2 Install Questions

With Time Warner now charging a modem lease fee and my $29.99 promotion running out, I'm looking at switching back to AT&T. I had regular ADSL 2 years ago, but it looks like my area (Los Angeles) has been upgraded to ADSL2+/IP-DSLAM and now falls under the U-Verse name.

1. Is there anyway to avoid the $100 gateway fee? I don't want to use their gateway if there are plenty of IP-DSLAM compatible modems on eBay for much less.

I remember one poster here said they were able to mail back the modem as a return, but I don't remember seeing if they ever received the refund.

2. Likewise, is there a way to avoid the $250 install fee for Max Plus? Can I order Max and then upgrade later on without the fee?

3. Is there any indication that they'll be enforcing caps on U-Verse IP-DSLAM? I originally left regular DSL service because of the 150GB cap being enforced. I use around 250-300GB/month.

Thanks for any info.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2

1. No way to avoid it, but you can mail back the one you purchased within 30days and get your money back.
2. Only way around that is order voice, by it's only a discount and you get sacked with terms so you can't just cancel it. If your VDSL2+ you can get tv and reduce upfront costs.
3. Absolutely none. It's pretty much Uverse's saving grace.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Thinkdiff

Order the 6 Meg for self-install [they willl send the modem..]..
After that service is setup, upgrade to the max / max plus.
- Use the AT&T direct forum to get it upgraded - to the max plus..
»AT&T Direct

Post your name, address, phone number [ where they can reach you], and account number. Also post that you want to upgrade from x speed to the Max Plus, w/o having a tech come out..

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Thinkdiff

Great! Thank you both for the help. Seems like its a viable option if I can mail the modem back - I don't mind the upfront cost as long as I can get it back.

AMDUSER: if I go that route, do you know if I'll be able to keep the intro/Internet special rates? Max is $29/mo and Max Plus is $35/mo.
--

Forosnai

reply to Thinkdiff

The intro promo for Internet only is going to be a flat discount (usually $19 off). You can change your speed anytime and the discount stays the same and only the base price changes. If you do the self install you will be responsible for the wiring from the NID to the modem. Like AMDUSER posted, some customers will DIY a full tech install (run a clean pair from the demarc to the modem), and contact support to order the higher packages if the line will support it.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Perfect. Thanks for the info.

I live in a large apartment building, so no possibility of running my own lines. I guess I won't count on Max Plus working, but Max is already potentially faster than my current TWC service.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Thinkdiff

I received my install kit today. DSL service is activated (due date is actually tomorrow. First time AT&T has done something before the deadline for me!).

However, the return slip that came with the modem states I need a return authorization number. Is this absolutely required? If I call to get one, will they give me a problem about returning the modem without canceling service?
--

Forosnai

reply to Thinkdiff

Per ATT, the return label you have should do, perhaps you have to write your account # and address on it.
»www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp···KB409172 (expand purchased equipment)
Might not hurt to call into tech support on the night of your activation and kindly ask to work with a "tier 2" agent just to make sure the new service is running good with the equipment you want and you have a confirmation of everything you need to track the return.