Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

Re: New Nest Thermostat- 2 stage

said by itguy05:

Yes, close. Hint - Look at Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc's BUSINESS CLASS lines, not the consumer stuff.

Macs are not business machines. Keeping them integrated in an office environment is a GIANT pain in the ass, so comparing them to business machines is wrong. Even Apple doesn't want to deal with the business side officially hence the discontinued OSX servers.
said by itguy05:

Not true. XP is bad from a security, performance, and reliability standpoint.

IS bad, keyword IS, not was when it came out. OSX 10.4 or whatever the version was at the time was no picnick.
said by itguy05:

Like what? IIRC that Versa has 4 wheels, an engine, loads of airbags, Cd player, A/C, ABS, gets decent gas mileage and will get you and 3 friends from point A to B. So why buy anything but the cheapest car you can get?

Seriously? Like try putting a child seat into a Versa, it's doable, but you are going to hate your life afterwards and while you are at it try to figure out where to shove the stroller, because it will never fit into the so called trunk. Like try keeping kids entertained with no enterntainment system when you are going more than 5 miles somewhere. Like dual zone climate control (see how back on topic we are here) because you are dying of heat while other people in the car are just fine. Leather seats are not a luxury for some people, especially for someone who's ever tried getting food stains out of the upholstery or smoke. I can give you more examples if necessary.
said by itguy05:

I didn't start with the "Apple People" bashing. ....

Yeah you did.
said by itguy05:

Back to the topic, I'm not going to reply any more as to not further derail this conversation.

I love this statement, I belive it translates into "I spewed some random garbage into an internet forum, but since I actually got called out on it, I don't want to play anymore".
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

quote:
Macs are not business machines. Keeping them integrated in an office environment is a GIANT pain in the ass, so comparing them to business machines is wrong. Even Apple doesn't want to deal with the business side officially hence the discontinued OSX servers.

You do realize there is an OSX Server OS, just not the server hardware. And considering few bought them it made sense to discontinue them.

Maybe for a Windows admin who is used to only MS junk it's hard to integrate Macs but for those of us who know it's about the same as integrating Linux, AIX, or any other UNIX into AD. And another hint, AD is loosely based on LDAP which means you can connect it relatively easily.

When I was a Windows admin, most could not think outside the box or do much with non Microsoft stuff. Shame really as there's a whole better world outside besides Microsoft's software.
quote:
IS bad, keyword IS, not was when it came out. OSX 10.4 or whatever the version was at the time was no picnick.
Having used OSX from 10.2 to today XP is what drove me to OSX. It was better.
quote:
Seriously? Like try putting a child seat into a Versa, it's doable, but you are going to hate your life afterwards and while you are at it try to figure out where to shove the stroller, because it will never fit into the so called trunk. Like try keeping kids entertained with no enterntainment system when you are going more than 5 miles somewhere. Like dual zone climate control (see how back on topic we are here) because you are dying of heat while other people in the car are just fine. Leather seats are not a luxury for some people, especially for someone who's ever tried getting food stains out of the upholstery or smoke. I can give you more examples if necessary.
Seriously? My parents did it in some of the midsize sedans of the 80's just fine. And for fun, my Mom did it in her Mustang 2. I routinely took 7 hour trips with no entertainment center but a book and my imagination in the back of said 80's sedan. (And with Dad puffing away in the front but that's another topic.) Then again my parents were parents and didn't just plop me in front of a TV or whatever and let them be my parents.

None of those things are necessary or needed. About the only time you'd need something bigger is more than 2 kids.
quote:
Yeah you did.
No, actually it was cdru with this:
quote:
You're right about the same market as Apple products, but not for the reason you state. It's in the same market as Apple products because some people have an overwhelming desire to pay a premium for shiny thing that isn't functionally better than cheaper alternatives, but just because it's shiny. A coworker just yesterday saw the new Nest and said he would be willing to pay double for it just because it looks so good.
quote:
I love this statement, I belive it translates into "I spewed some random garbage into an internet forum, but since I actually got called out on it, I don't want to play anymore".

Nope, feel free to PM me and we'll start a topic in General info, computers, cars, whatever. Really don't want to derail this topic any more.