Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Caelharrad

Re: [Raiding] Tanking Damage Adjustment Hot Fixes

nick was asking about trade offs. I think in the area of tradeoffs, DKs just have to game their runes so that a DS is always available. Keeping diseases up and burning blood tap also compete for rune availability to some extent. That is as far as we can take the tradeoff discussion with respect to DKs. They simply don't have to sacrifice dps for survivability... This has been their design since at least 4.2 and it has been solid.

The other tanks are being show-horned into the DK model... and some stretching is still required.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Agrende (discipline/holy); Esclavizado (blood/unholy)

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Immer's got the right of it. I think its somewhat dumb that DKs get max damage and max mitigation from the same rotations/considerations, whereas warriors have to make a tradeoff: do I want take more damage, or do more damage?

To be fair, its not that bad for warriors (and I assume bears) because HStrike hits like a limp noodle, and Execute range isn't long enough to be a major consideration. Was just curious if other classes have that.

An analogy for DKs would be something like Icy Touch hitting harder than Death Strike (which I'm sure is not the case).

ADDENDUM: at the same time, I suspect that's the trade-off for having better passive mitigation. I can still block a significant part of the time if I don't use Shield Block. DKs will take more full face hits than I would if they used Hypothetically-more-damaging-than-Death-Strike Strike (for UF runes) instead of Death Strike.

I think that resolves my moral dilemma.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

Runicstrike. It hits harder than death strike, I believe... but its just a filler strike. You can't spam it.