Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Straphanger

MVM,

to Straphanger

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

That's my point. You gain basically nothing by getting a D3 modem (yes, you can have channel bonding, but 10/1 probably doesn't need it and D2 modems can do DCC on a D3 system) and lose out on PowerBoost. I don't see any reason to buy a D3 modem besides future-proofing against upgrades that may/may not happen (when's the last time they upgraded the base tier?)

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

if you play games online docsis3 users report to have better fps rates than docsis2 users, probably because you have 2 bound channels of data going to the game host instead of one thus reducing net latency, since the game itself requires very little down/upload speed. this modem purchase will keep me stuck with docsis2 till i leave twc for fios - so twc was stupid to do this now, as i might have upgraded to docsis3 once my first year was up (and i just built a new gaming pc) but now i won't bother trying it if i'm stuck having to buy more modems or pay rental fees.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Well just tonight I downgraded to Turbo speed along with a new TV service installation that was done here. I had Extreme before the downgrade. The tech who came over did not change the modem and my speed tests also indicate that I now have Turbo. So does this mean that I am still on D3 with the Extreme modem that I have ? Another question I have is that I was quoted and signed for ( an agent came right to my home last week ) a 24 month deal. No contract of course. Will I be subject to this new modem fee ? I am already exploring my options of buying a modem anyway.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"So does this mean that I am still on D3 with the Extreme modem that I have ? Another question I have is that I was quoted and signed for ( an agent came right to my home last week ) a 24 month deal. No contract of course. Will I be subject to this new modem fee ? I am already exploring my options of buying a modem anyway."

You are on D3 equipment with a D3 modem, your speeds are governed by the modem Boot file.

You will be subject to the new modem fee I believe.

Hob

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Thanks Hob. I will be looking at a modem purchase soon. Otherwise, the install went good tonight. Only thing I notice is the usual slower channel changing than I experienced on DirectTV.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Packeteers

MVM,

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

if you play games online docsis3 users report to have better fps rates than docsis2 users, probably because you have 2 bound channels of data going to the game host instead of one thus reducing net latency, since the game itself requires very little down/upload speed. this modem purchase will keep me stuck with docsis2 till i leave twc for fios - so twc was stupid to do this now, as i might have upgraded to docsis3 once my first year was up (and i just built a new gaming pc) but now i won't bother trying it if i'm stuck having to buy more modems or pay rental fees.

I have a hard time buying this argument. Is this technically proven or just anecdotal?

Even if there was an improvement, I can't imagine it being very large. Unless the game server is very close, the majority of latency is from TWC to the game server, not your CMTS to your modem.