share rss forum feed

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

1 recommendation

Installed first UBNT Air fiber unit today

Got it all dialed in about 700 ft shot best I got was -59..

Logged into the slave side and it said TX was 756 megs RX was 125megs?

Customer has a fios connection on the Master side, Master is plugged directly into the ONT no router. Slave side is plugged into customer router.

Customer has a 300 meg down and 65 meg upload Fios connection.

Cant get but 100 meg download.

I have tried re-aligning, I would like to run a radio to radio speed test but the stupid thing has NO UBNT speed test on it WTF?

So the customer is all up in my shizzzneee about why he is not seeing the thruput that he expected.

Any ideas. I tried to update firmware but it is saying it has the latest?

How can I test radio to radio thruput like on the temp UBNT Nano M5 and the Rocket M5 AP we took down. He was getting better thruput on that as far as downloads go..

Thanks

P.S we had it set for Full duplex and had the 24.1 on the TX on the master and 24.1 on the RX on the slave etc.
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
How far is the link? Is 700ft is how far the link is? if so then you should be getting all your connection.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
First sentence its a 700 ft shot..

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

2 edits
reply to viperm
I never messed around with the Airfiber I only seen it in person at UWC chicago have you tried asking in Ubnt forum? I have heard on ubnt forum they use iperf or doing speed test inside MT between airfiber.

»forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=58778&page=1

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1
reply to viperm
"Cant get but 100meg download"

Does that mean from the upstream to the downstream side, you are only getting 100mbit instead of the full speed?

If thats the case, i would check if all the network ports, routers and switches in place are gigabit speed or just 100mbit.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Ray.. Yes from Verizon he has a 300 meg fios connection, at the ONT with the verizon router or a laptop plugged directly into the ONT we get 300 down megs 65 megs up.

After we plug in the airfiber master go over to the slave and plug in the Verizon router or laptop we only get 100 megs or less thruput but upload is fine.

The slave unit says in stats TX=756 megs RX only 125 megs so to me that means I am only seeing 125 megs thruput capability on the radio from master to slave? Once I get this difference figured out I am sure that will fix the issues.

I dont have two free laptops to try IPERF but if the radio is reporting a large variance like that something is wrong.

The Master radio is on the eave of a 2 story house with perfect LOS to the 2 story building where the slave is on the roof with a 5 ft NON pen roof mount both sides are about -62 RX and TX after about an hour of aligning.

I am guessing for some reason the RX on the slave is not working properly or TX on the master is not putting out enough power even though its I think at 30 dB whatever the max is.

Customer sent me an E-mail this morning 2 AM (he owns a cyber cafer) after closing to tell me the results again.

Now the only other thing I can think of is that the radio (slave side) being on the roof is getting some reflection from the 5 ft edge / wall of the edge of the roof, but we are about 30 feet from the edge in the middle of the roof with clear LOS to the house 700 ft away and about

Here is the GPS for the Slave
34° 0'43.97"N
117°44'20.37"W

GPS for Master
34° 0'44.21"N
117°44'26.50"W
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

VCWireless

join:2010-11-17
Valley Center, CA
reply to viperm
Its probably to hot. We installed our first one yesterday - best we could get was -61 (which indicates 50% signal?/link is ~2 miles) however it does show at 740/740. When we called ubnt support they said that was borderline to hot.

Our strange thing is this morning we can't ping the slave side or access it via web interface but its still passing traffic - not too reassuring :-/

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
I left these ones to out of band management using the slave management ethernet hooked to the lan of the customer network. They can log into the slave but no access or ping to the master side from the local lan. If we log into the slave radio we can ping the master side from within the radio just no access from the lan directly or thru the slave radio..

I figured I would be able to log in that way?
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

VCWireless

Valley Center, CA
When we first setup the link we were able to ping and access both.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

1 recommendation

What I really fricken hate about this unit is the LED on the bottom of the radio L A M E!!!! should be on the back at least.

Had a guy hanging off the eave of a roof trying to read the damn thing upside down!

Its really a 4 person job. One to align and one to read off the numbers from below at each side of the link, and why not include the speed test option like all the other UBNT products? or the spectrum tool just so you can see to make sure your not close to any noise in the same spectrum..

Oyyy Vey.. I dont want to have to go back out and mess with it but I guess we will have to.
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

VCWireless

Valley Center, CA
Do you have remote access to it? I would reduce the output power and see what happens

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Not yet that was the first thing i was going to try. Its up in Chino hills about an hour away. Waiting for the owner to wake up and set up the firewall (monowall) to get me some port forward rules to mess with it.

The only thing is if I cant get to the master I will have to go up and use the ladder to plug into the master to config it on site. The Slave I can get to down below or from his own lan..
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

VCWireless

Valley Center, CA
reply to viperm
Yeah we didn't even use the LED - just used our phones to login remotely to our server and check the signal

VCWireless

Valley Center, CA
reply to viperm
Update on my problem of not accessing it.

We can log in backwards to it - we still have a radwin link as "back up" that we plugged into here at the office and can access it just fine through the internet port

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to viperm
I don't have any of these, so I'm speculating.

What I have read about 24Ghz in general with AF and other radio's is it's nothing like dialing in 5Ghz or 2.4. These things are like laser beams. It has to be dead nuts on.

From other posts of people having issues, when the data rates don't match up, it's alignment.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

matthardy
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to viperm
Hi,
At 700ft, you should see a much higher signal than -59dBm. My first thought is alignment.

Alignment is very important with these devices. Have you taken a look through the QSG:
»dl.ubnt.com/guides/airfiber/airF···_QSG.pdf
There are a few pages on alignment (starting at page 20).

If you have any more specifics, feel free to shoot me an email (matt@ubnt.com).

Thanks,
Matt

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Matt I am beggining to think so as well but they are so close cant see how we can be that far off we have aligned hundreds of PTP licensed links and 24 gig stuff and never been had any issues.

Is it possible the power being at max could be causing issues?

I am trying to get remote access to view and test this evening.

One question is how do I get to the remote radio if its not hooked up to the remote lan on the slave side.

Slave radio management interface is plugged into local lan.

Master radio we are using just the data port only. We left the management interface unplugged thinking we could get to it remotely from the slave side since it was plugged into the local lan via management port?

We can ping the remote radio but only form within the slave radio thats it..

We cant turn management to work on data port as those ports are isolated from the local lan and is in essence hooked to the WAN network thats why we opted to use the management ports on the radio to hook to the lan on the far side.

Thanks
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
reply to viperm
stupid question, he is using a GB nic card right?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
said by prairiesky:

Probably not that stupid really... But that doesn't explain the low rate in one direction and my money is on "too hot" as well
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
said by Inssomniak:

said by prairiesky:

Probably not that stupid really... But that doesn't explain the low rate in one direction and my money is on "too hot" as well

agreed that the RX does seem low. That's also RX to the unit, which would be the download to the unit.

IntraLink
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-14
Uath Valley
reply to viperm
We have two installed, but 2.2 miles and 3.4 miles.

So I've heard that you need to use the low power setting for real close in shots like that.

And the alignment is really focused. And more so close up if that makes sense.

Also make sure they are not tilted at all since the thing has two antennas per side.

When I was aligning I couldn't get one side to get the same power reading, but then I did something to the mount on the Rohn tower and I think it 'straightened' up a bit and then it really changed to good power/alignment.

These things are also a bit finiky in these initial firmware versions, sometimes we've had to reboot them a few times to get them to really lock in.

But they seem to run well for us for a couple months now that they are online and have some time on them.

Waiting for newer firmware for management and features etc. It will come (right?)

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
said by IntraLink:

Also make sure they are not tilted at all since the thing has two antennas per side.

When I was aligning I couldn't get one side to get the same power reading, but then I did something to the mount on the Rohn tower and I think it 'straightened' up a bit and then it really changed to good power/alignment.

Agreed. With dual polarity a difference of only a couple of degrees from 'plumb' on each end can make a 20db difference in cross pole isolation on a link. The dual stacked antenna setup would make any side/side or front/back tilt a huge issue I would think.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Hmmmmm okay as we.have some uptilt and downtilt on opposite sides. Your saying to make both sides completly level and keep them level even though there is a small height difference? I thinks that's where we started and had nothing?

I have no problem starting the process again to better learn the nuances of these units..

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
I think he meant that if the mount is not plumb, that you can end up with some rotation. Up and down tilt is to be expected but side to side, not.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

IntraLink
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-14
Uath Valley
reply to viperm
Yeah, rotation, not tilt, sorry!

Watch for rotation. Tilt is fine of course!

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to viperm
The master might and I do mean might have a slight skew to it but maybe a 1/2 to 1 degree..

We will know next week when we go back out..

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to viperm
Sorry. I don't have an AirFiber unit... but when installing Dual pol Solid dishes the side to side should be perfectly plumb or you'll loose cross polarity isolation really fast - way faster than I ever realized - and the front/back should be exactly parallel on each side. E.G. if the East side is plus 3 degrees tilt the West side is minus 3 degrees.
I use an "inclinometer", (which is just a 36" electric level with degree measurements), vertically on the face of the parabolic for the front/back tilt, and that silly little bubble level on the back of the dish for side/side. Radio Mobile gets the inclination pretty well perfect on every shot so far.

Thinking that the same ideas will apply to a dual antenna device and probably more so (?)

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to viperm
Okay all is well. We re-aligned the master side the skew was off about 2* once we got it plumb and did our up down and left right on both sides we hit - 41.

We turned down rx gain on the radios and it knocked it down to about -55 on each side and thruput is now 743 megs both rx and tx. Not sure how much that rx gain option is supposed to attenuate does anyone know?

I figured maybe 10db?

So being very plumb is crucial thanks everyone for your input!!!! Customer now thinks he should be getting more since they are gigabit radios. I had to remind him that's aggragate not each way, and referenced the specs on the sheet..
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

join:2011-04-18
Thanks for the update!

Oh if he thinks he should be getting 1gig symmetrical maybe this thread will peak some interest?

»forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=58841

But i'm sure if you give him that he'll need more......

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Picture