uniqs
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to LLStarks

to LLStarks

Re: [DVR] No Cloud DVR on FIOS?

said by LLStarks:

Umm, it's been out for over a year or two now.

»optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· dvr-plus

That's not bad. I didn't know they completely rolled it out

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

Ask any one who has it if they would rather have a DVR box, it sucks for just about everything it is supposed to do.
davidplatt
join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA

davidplatt to skohly

to skohly
Based on the web page it's pretty lame - 24 hours of HD capacity? That's nothing. I'm not thrilled that my Cisco DVR only has a 500GB drive. That's 45 to 73 hours of HD depending upon the bitrate of the program. Since it will take an eSata drive, I'm going to attach one of at least 1TB to triple the space.

Verizon needs to seriously consider getting a DVR with 4 tuners instead of only 2 tuners. TiVo has two boxes with 4 tuners and the Ceton Cable Card devices (both PCIe and USB) have 4 tuners.

I will say one thing, the Verizon Cisco DVR is a lot more responsive than the DirecTV DVRs.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Agree... I use rewind on live tv more than anything.. I don't DVR much, so I don't care for much storage past 12hrs or so.

The thing I worry about with cloud based DVR's is speed. I've used the DirecTV multi-room DVR's before and they were always very slow in response.

DirecTV receivers are dirt slow though, but if I wasn't locked into a contract I would go back to them and dump FIOS TV. FIOS TV picture isn't as good (pixelates more) and doesn't have the HD channel selection that DTV has.

I had DTV before I moved to a FIOS area.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by buckweet1980:

The thing I worry about with cloud based DVR's is speed. I've used the DirecTV multi-room DVR's before and they were always very slow in response.

Speed would be my main concern too. Even just using the multi-room DVR functionality - accessing the DVR from other boxes usually has a delayed response when using FFW, REW, Pause, etc. I would expect it to be much worse with a cloud-based DVR.