RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by optimumtv :

On the 8300 DVR do you have the choice to record to the DVR OR THE DVR +?

you can subscribe to DVR+ on the 8300HD and have both internal and "cloud" storage, but why would you ?

I have both. It's only $5 to add DVR+ if you have a SA8300, but you also need to have a non DVR box too. You can't schedule DVR+ recordings from a SA8300, but you can watch them on it.

The advantages are I can now record 6 things at once and I have more storage space.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
said by RemyM:

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by optimumtv :

On the 8300 DVR do you have the choice to record to the DVR OR THE DVR +?

you can subscribe to DVR+ on the 8300HD and have both internal and "cloud" storage, but why would you ?

I have both. It's only $5 to add DVR+ if you have a SA8300, but you also need to have a non DVR box too. You can't schedule DVR+ recordings from a SA8300, but you can watch them on it.

The advantages are I can now record 6 things at once and I have more storage space.

im not satisfied though with the reaction latency for button presses using the DVR+.
its comparable to the on demand content latency button presses prior to DVR+.
up to 1 second latency (depending on network congestion) is too much for me and is annoying when trying to skip commercials.
with all the "noise" the boxes generate on the network (separate subnet), latency time would be quicker if they were all quiet and stopped broadcasting IGMP/broadcast "who has this & who has that" messages (im not going to divulge how to see this, dont ask please).
if CV can successfully filter out this type of traffic from a subscribers CM (by SNMP), then why not on the cable boxes ?
the option is there, its just not enabled.
the network the cable boxes use is no different than the network cable modem subscribers use, its just a different subnet and uses a proxy for internet access (and doesnt have ports filtered at the CMTS)
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata