elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to donoreo

Re: "I am calling from Windows" scammer calls ARS.....

First I can dispel belief in TV very easily, most of it is BS.
I'm watching Hawaii Five O last night and one of the characters is in her car, in a back ally, fires up her laptop which automatically connects her to the Marshall Services database.

Then she proceeds to social engineer a password from a recording she made playing pool with a Marshall.

She must have tried several times before she got it right.

RIGHT, so you type in the wrong password into a US Government Database,you don't get locked out nor does your miraculous internet connection get tracked back to you.

And that's my point, any IT person with smarts will see BS when they see it,but the average schome? Not so much.

My sister who downloads "Linux distros" daily is uber paranoid somebody will catch her, even though it's not possible since she's not sharing anything and I encrypted her connections.

--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by elwoodblues:

First I can dispel believe in TV very easily, most of it is BS.
I'm watching Hawaii Five O last night and one of the characters is in her car, in a back ally, fires up her laptop which automatically connects her to the Marshall Services database.

Then she proceeds to social engineer a password from a recording she made playing pool with a Marshall.

Was it Kono? She is hot so it does not matter.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

No it was Steve's 'girlfriend' that worked on a Navy Ship the last season, but now is on leave and helping the 5-0-

She is not bad looking either
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by BigSensFan:

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

No it was Steve's 'girlfriend' that worked on a Navy Ship the last season, but now is on leave and helping the 5-0-

She is not bad looking either

I was just going to say that. I have not watched this weeks episode. I was watching last week's when I got paged for work last night.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

Not it's the Navy woman Mcgarret has been seeing, she's on the show F/T now.

While we're at it, sometime ago, somebody asked me what a 40yr old woman should look like....Grace Park is 38,. but damn.....
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

I was just going to say that. I have not watched this weeks episode. I was watching last week's when I got paged for work last night.

Wait till you see her playing pool.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

My sister who downloads "Linux distros" daily is uber paranoid somebody will catch her, even though it's not possible since she's not sharing anything and I encrypted her connections.

Not to derail the thread... but you're wrong with that part...

Completely POSSIBLE to track who d/l's distro's; and work it back to an actual ISP and account holder... But the copyright cop's don't care enough to; when there's far larger fish to fry. Anyways...

As for the scammers - I've never gottne a call from them - but my parent's have gotten several; including one that ALMOST got my mom to go along... Her spidey-sense didn't start tingling until the guy got super-pushy when she asked for a call-back number, so that her son (me...) could be come over and be on the computer to help.