spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Out of character for Microsoft?

Setting up do not track as a default setting seems a little out of character for Microsoft.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

said by battleop:

Setting up do not track as a default setting seems a little out of character for Microsoft.

Yeah, yet IE by default STILL doesn't empty Temp Items folder (no one needs to worry about dial-up refreshing of frequently used items...) yet this folder is primary dumpster for malware, etc...and first thing I script off.
--
Splat

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

Not really.
1}It's very much in their interest for you to LIKE using their browser over others.
2}Like google and every other ad company, getting exclusive use of even the small amount of info, is more valuble then shared use of stuff all of them see.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to battleop

Well, true. I think they're doing that though to cut down on some of the anger that could be put forth to them if they made it Opt Out by user intervention. Though, to solve that problem they could make a tick box that appears when Internet Explorer 10 is first launched after installation.

The more ironic part of this is that Microsoft runs their own Advertising network as well. They are effectively opting out tracking for their own network.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to battleop

Not if this is nothing more than giving Google the finger.

As far as harming innovation, I disagree. Nature always maintains a symbiotic equilibrium. This will actually promote innovation in an effort to restore whatever the new setting negates.