uniqs

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: Dalton's anti-smoking minions have had enough.

said by Gone:

You can thank Niagara Falls for that, they were the first municipality in Ontario to ban smoking on any city property, including parks and any other city-owned land outdoors.

Remember when all those local businesses spent many thousands, some as high as $100,000, to renovate their businesses so they could conform to the 'smoking room' laws? Then a couple of years later they change the law again...? Our government is grand.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Remember when all those local businesses spent many thousands, some as high as $100,000, to renovate their businesses so they could conform to the 'smoking room' laws? Then a couple of years later they change the law again...? Our government is grand.

Yup. It put a lot of local businesses into a very difficult financial situation, especially since renovations like that are costed over a multi-year period.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
Urban, the myth of the smoking area was actually thought up and pushed through legislation by lobby groups representing the tobacco industry. These are very smart people that wished to ensure there remained a viable smoking outlet at the work place. It did not originate from govts. Most of what goes on, unfortunately we have no clue about,especially when it comes to policy, legislation or heck tendering of construction contracts. Money (greed-profit) is the driver, not much else.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

said by Anav:

Urban, the myth of the smoking area was actually thought up and pushed through legislation by lobby groups representing the tobacco industry.

There's no shortage of conspiracies floating around in that noggin of yours. Listening to too much Alex Jones radio perhaps...

»www.prisonplanet.com/

»www.infowars.com/about-a ··· x-jones/

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al ··· io_host)

He seems to share your point of view on a few things we've been discussing....

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Thanks! I did not see them talking about construction contracts in MOntreal. I love a good conspiracy, like that far-fetched one, "there is no WMD".

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Gone:

You can thank Niagara Falls for that, they were the first municipality in Ontario to ban smoking on any city property, including parks and any other city-owned land outdoors.

Oh yeah I remember that, the Timmy's where all the smokers went into the glass room to have a coffee and smoke.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Pocket change for Tim Hortons. It was the locally-owned bars and restaurants that got royally shafted.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Pocket change for Tim Hortons. It was the locally-owned bars and restaurants that got royally shafted.

Most TH's are owned by the franchaise operator, not corporate... It was the same sort of hit to them, and their operations, too.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

Most TH's are owned by the franchaise operator, not corporate... It was the same sort of hit to them, and their operations, too.

"Same hit?" No way. I'm not saying it was free, but remember that a Tim Hortons franchise is a license to print money. A restaurant that is only a few years old and still not turning a profit would have taken a far harder hit from this than any Tim Hortons anywhere ever would have, and that's exactly what happened in many situations.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

"Same hit?" No way. I'm not saying it was free, but remember that a Tim Hortons franchise is a license to print money.

It is, but it's not cheap to get in the front door. Last time i check it was over 500m and you need at a big chunk of that to be unencumbered (cash).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Nowhere near $500M, but you need to have a shitload of liquid cash to even be talked to. The whole setup is more of a club you buy into where you get a territory and have first right of refusal for anything that goes into that area. This is why Tim Hortons locations are typically all owned by the same person in any given city/area.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

**Sigh**
quote:
The cost of a full Canadian franchise varies from $480,000 to $510,000* (CDN$) (plus all applicable taxes). At least $153,000 of the franchise cost must be unencumbered (cash or liquid assets), in addition to $50,000 in working capital (also unencumbered). The remaining amount may be financed through the chartered banks, upon approval of a franchise.
* The cost of a Tim Hortons license may exceed $510,000 in certain locations due to higher development costs.

And you're right, it is a club, there are 5 Tim Hortons near me of which 3 are Kiosks , all owned by the same guy.

From the TH website.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Hey you guys (both of you).

[500M] means [500 MILLION] in Canada and the US.

Here is an example from Canada:
Waste Management Issues $500M Notes
»ca.finance.yahoo.com/new ··· 487.html

--------------------

By contrast, [500k] would be [500,000] that is [500 THOUSAND].

The letter [k] represents [kilo] which is [thousand]. It's widely used in this weird Canadian thing called the metric system which we Yanks are supposed to be ignorant of.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

**Sigh**

said by elwoodblues:
500m
Never in my life have I ever seen anyone put "500m" to mean $500,000 or, as PX already stated, 500k

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Fair enough, that was a typo, my mistake.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The latest numbers I heard are closer to $1M from start to finish, including property, equipment and other associated startup costs.

But yeah, the whole club mentality of Tim Hortons means that it is virtually impossible for someone who already doesn't own a franchise to get a new one.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Thank god, I can breathe easier, were not talking about that stupid smoking bit anymore.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Can't find a better place to put this so....

Toronto is now looking at banning smoking on Sports Fields and restaurant patios all in the name of 2nd hand smoke.

I don't get it, you are outside, you can easily move (or in the case of the bar nicely ask the smoker to smoke at an angle that doesn't hit you in the face).

Short story, posted verbatim.

Toronto’s Board of Health will decide next week whether to hold public consultations on extending the city’s ban on places where you can smoke. On Monday, the board will look at recommendations to ban smoking on uncovered restaurant patios, in public building entranceways, on hospital grounds and on sports fields.

If the board approves public consultations, a final decision on extending the ban could come next year.

The suggestion for extended smoking bans comes from a Toronto Public Health report released last month that urges action to prevent residents from second-hand smoke exposure.
“Things have certainly moved forward in public opinion, and we now have a public that is much more sensitive to second-hand cigarette smoke,” said Coun. John Filion, who chairs the board of health.

“It’s time to move the yardstick forward.” Despite existing regulations, 15 per cent of adult non-smokers in Toronto were exposed to second-hand smoke “every day or almost every day,” according to a 2010 survey cited in the report.
Smoking is already prohibited in indoor workplaces and public spaces, as well as within nine metres of playgrounds, wading pools and city zoos and farms.

LINK

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

I am non-smoker and even I hate such regulations. I hate smokers as much as terrorists. But I hate these so called health professionals calling the shots. Reduce the speed limits, Compulsory helmets for bike riders, no smoking outside.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Can't find a better place to put this so....

Toronto is now looking at banning smoking on Sports Fields and restaurant patios all in the name of 2nd hand smoke.

I don't get it, you are outside, you can easily move (or in the case of the bar nicely ask the smoker to smoke at an angle that doesn't hit you in the face).

Short story, posted verbatim.

Toronto’s Board of Health will decide next week whether to hold public consultations on extending the city’s ban on places where you can smoke. On Monday, the board will look at recommendations to ban smoking on uncovered restaurant patios, in public building entranceways, on hospital grounds and on sports fields.

LINK

You see that won't be enough for the control freaks if Peterborough is a template.

Take the Peterborough Regional Health Center here run by our resident asshole Ken Tremblay. No designated smoking area on the property whatsoever. The result is patients trekking out in all weather to sidewalks in wheelchairs and with IV poles. We have already had on employee break an ankle because of this bullshit. Of course these policies are supported by the majority of the population of as they don't smoke and thus don't give a shit about anyone else.

Sports fields are not enough for these idiots and they will ban smoking on all public property, as they did in Peterborough, including parking lots as second hand smoke can travel hundreds of yards and kill small children with one whiff.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

Compulsory helmets for bike riders

I wear one, voluntarily ,but it's saved my life more then once.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by elwoodblues:

said by loosedobbs:

Compulsory helmets for bike riders

I wear one, voluntarily ,but it's saved my life more then once.

I never had but I rarely use bike. I walk half a mile to store instead use bike. voluntarily is the key.
But I would like more people to obey driving rules (for both Bike and car) and be alert to save lives than make/create new rules.
New rules don't make community safe but obeying the one in place save more. My focus was more on lower the speed limit to save on pedestrian accidents. I dont like health providers creating rules. New rules never make society safe. Its for politicians like Dalton or NDP politicians. I am also against MADD crazy people.
So just ban booze and cigarettes. Problem solved right?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

They're moving ahead.

The Health committee voted to go ahead with the ban, and have sent it out for "consultation" with the public/bar/restaurant owners.

The health board voted unanimously Monday to launch consultations on extending the current ban for the first time since 2009, when areas around city playgrounds, splash pads and wading pools were added to the no-puff list.

Councillor John Filion, chair of the health board, said he hopes consultations with the public, restaurant and bar owners and others can wrap up by the end of the year, and will help produce recommendations for council in 2013.

But Filion (Ward 23, Willowdale) called restaurateurs’ worries that a patio ban will hurt their businesses “not a credible argument.” He made it clear that, no matter the feedback, his board will push council to expand the ban.

»www.thestar.com/news/gta ··· king-ban
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

From the article this is the best example of the mindset of these people:

"He made it clear that, no matter the feedback, his board will push council to expand the ban."

Should be interesting to watch it play out in the center of the universe instead of small municipalities.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Take the Peterborough Regional Health Center here run by our resident asshole Ken Tremblay. No designated smoking area on the property whatsoever. The result is patients trekking out in all weather to sidewalks in wheelchairs and with IV poles.

That happens here in Hamilton too.