bestjsg6
join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

Rogers throttling p2p even though it says they don't

Click for full size
Click for full size
HI All,

I just have Rogers Extreme (18MB) installed this morning, I also left my Bell 5 MB DSL activated just in case coz I work from home full time.

I use a BT client call Thunder , and I usually get full 500-600 KB/s from my exisiting Bell 5MB connection, now with Rogers , a 18 MB connection, I get 2xx KB/s and inconsistent download speeds , so I have selected a few popular seeds, (if you can read Chinese, Japanese AV are usually very fast dl..LOL) , and tested both BT performance.

As you can see same seeds different in switching time may be 1 minute, Rogers download speed is a lot slower.

( I checked with my postal code at rogers.com/traffic and it says Yes - traffic management has been removed on your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service)

btw, mine is a HITRON CGN2-ROG modem if that matters.

Anyone have any idea why this is the case and maybe/can Rogers throttle p2p like partially ?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Rogers is gradually shutting down p2p throttling, but it isn't completely done yet.

You can check the status of your neighbourhood here: »promo.orderrogers.ca/tra ··· -traffic
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

thanks for the info, I have in fact wrote this in my post and have checked. it says Yes - traffic management has been removed on your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service ..
bestjsg6

bestjsg6

oh wait, is it true that the $ 41.99 student promo has throttling on I heard ? (even though my postal code says no throttling..) can anyone confirm ?
bestjsg6

bestjsg6

just tried Utorrent...two of the same seeds, 20-40 KB/s...
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to bestjsg6

to bestjsg6
Test it with this:

»broadband.mpi-sws.org/tr ··· test.php

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to bestjsg6

to bestjsg6
Well torrents are upload speed based and here in London Rogers docsis 3 Express upload speeds have been hideous for the past week. Average upload speed 430 to 490 kbps.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rogers fall down Docsis 3 network and their complete inability to deliver quality service is the reason for your problems..........
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

1 edit

bestjsg6 to bt

to bt
thanks, just did it, 500 seconds was a long time..LOL

so looks like I am not throttled according to this, just that I have both Bell and Rogers now I can see the difference in my own eyes...sigh..

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

more copy and paste below..

Detailed test results giving the throughput per flow Glasnost runs:
All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 6881

Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #1 9609 Kbps 9609 Kbps
Download #2 9602 Kbps 9609 Kbps
Download #3 11638 Kbps 10154 Kbps

Upload #1 53 Kbps 73 Kbps
Upload #2 72 Kbps 71 Kbps
Upload #3 73 Kbps 68 Kbps

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 58698

Download #1 9616 Kbps 9595 Kbps
Download #2 9609 Kbps 9609 Kbps
Download #3 11717 Kbps 9609 Kbps

Upload #1 77 Kbps 70 Kbps
Upload #2 75 Kbps 69 Kbps
Upload #3 69 Kbps 74 Kbps
bestjsg6

bestjsg6 to elitefx

to elitefx
with Thunder I set my upload speed to 15KB/s anyways and as you can see with Bell I get 500+ and less than half with this Rogers 18 MB connection ! Sigh..

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to bestjsg6

to bestjsg6
Rogers still throttles, basically they lied that they would stop throttling. You can test in vuze in the statistics menu on the left. It shows the number of blocked connections. They block the port numbers that bit torrent uses and the system re-adjusts to port changes in bit torrent.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

1 edit

technocar2 to bestjsg6

to bestjsg6
said by bestjsg6:

Upload #1 53 Kbps 73 Kbps
Upload #2 72 Kbps 71 Kbps
Upload #3 73 Kbps 68 Kbps

Upload #1 77 Kbps 70 Kbps
Upload #2 75 Kbps 69 Kbps
Upload #3 69 Kbps 74 Kbps

If that's not throttling then I don't know what is...

That's kilobits, almost 80 kilobits. Which is about right.

Edit: Its clear that Rogers is still throttling you from left, right and centre. My advise, get a P2P friendly VPN that can max out your link, I find Private Internet Access VPN can easily max out my 75 mbps connection and they don't keep logs either.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

ok , so in comparision , I plugged my PC back to my Bell 5 MB DSL connection, and I got this below stats

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 6881

Download #1 1340 Kbps 1424 Kbps
Download #2 1389 Kbps 1335 Kbps
Download #3 1311 Kbps 1509 Kbps

Upload #1 670 Kbps 672 Kbps
Upload #2 674 Kbps 675 Kbps
Upload #3 672 Kbps 674 Kbps

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 45801

Download #1 1320 Kbps 1299 Kbps
Download #2 1338 Kbps 1254 Kbps
Download #3 1377 Kbps 1523 Kbps

Upload #1 672 Kbps 674 Kbps
Upload #2 674 Kbps 671 Kbps
Upload #3 672 Kbps 673 Kbps
bestjsg6

bestjsg6

and just got an automaticated survey from Rogers 5 mins asking questions re: the install today which I rated pretty good for the technician but at the end I just stated that I was told no throttling but I have proof that I am, so I am going to cancel the service next week. ..
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by bestjsg6:

and just got an automaticated survey from Rogers 5 mins asking questions re: the install today which I rated pretty good for the technician but at the end I just stated that I was told no throttling but I have proof that I am, so I am going to cancel the service next week. ..

Yea, stick with bell if you didn't cancel it, only way to get full speed on rogers is through a VPN.
bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

the problem is I want to cancel Bell home phone too, so I will lose the $ 4 bundle discount and I did submit a cancellation request for them to cut off on 26 Oct, but I guess they should be happy to cancel the cancellation request..
bestjsg6

bestjsg6 to technocar2

to technocar2
do you have any VPN you can recommend ? are there free ones at all?
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by bestjsg6:

do you have any VPN you can recommend ? are there free ones at all?

No free ones but you can get private internet access VPN for $39.95/ year that works out to $3.33/month. Also its unlimited use and there is no throttling and no logging either so you never have to worry about downloading copyright stuff. They are 100% P2P friendly and they have Canadian servers which absolutely insures max speed.
»www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Here is an example: (its downloading at 60 Mbps or maybe more because there is overhead)

bestjsg6
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6

wow...7.4MB/s ...and I was talking about 600 KB/s combined..LOL
bestjsg6

bestjsg6

ok quick update if anyone interested...

called Rogers, told them I am cancelling, I just need to return their modem to a store, call them back that day and a credit will 'automatically' be applied for the rest of 30 days notice from today (the day I return the modem to 9 Nov).

upon talking to the 3rd cancellation rep, the last guy was very helpful and we chatted about the p2p throttling being the main reason I am cancelling, he said something like the product offering code used for my promo is old and the updated code /offering is 18/2 MB rather than 18/0.52 MB and that he personally tested the updated product coded service he is getting 1.5 MB/s on p2p traffic.. anyhow, too much hassle , I have now cancelled, figure I would just mention it for your info.

I will still have my Bell 5 MB DSL until 10/26 , I am getting Start to transfer my account on 10/24 so I have 2 days of redundancy just in case and will return Roger's modem as soon as I am up and running..