uniqs
share rss forum feed

Slagathor

join:2002-01-07
Merrill, WI

1 edit
reply to Slagathor

Re: [HSI] Charter + Astraweb = ????

It's just from Astra, everything else is fast, using Newsbin pro.

It's not just slow, sometimes theres nothing, been trying to snag a 48gb file for the last 3 days....

Checked the log:
[21:41:35] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:ssl-us.astraweb.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Slagathor:

It's just from Astra, everything else is fast, using Newsbin pro.

It's not just slow, sometimes theres nothing, been trying to snag a 48gb file for the last 3 days....

Checked the log:
[21:41:35] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:ssl-us.astraweb.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout

I suppose it's on Astra's end, so I can take off my tinfoil hat, eh troll....

You can do a trace route to the news server and see if it hit a slow down along the path. I have had issues in the past where a outside router in the the path was bad/overloaded and my News server paid the price.

With that said my news server had more then one server farm i could connect to and they also had different port that could be used. If i changed port some times that would cause it to be routed differently and i would get better speeds. Other time i would be slow on the east coast server so i would connect to the west coast server and it would be better.

You need to look into these options with Astraweb.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by mmainprize:

Other time i would be slow on the east coast server so i would connect to the west coast server and it would be better.

You need to look into these options with Astraweb.

Astra has two server farms. One on the west coast and then in Amsterdam.

I would bet that error in Newsbin is causing your slow speeds. With that error you have a connection or connections not being utilized (unless they are reconnecting immediately after disconnection). May try disabling SSL and using a non standard port to see if that eliminates that error.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts