share rss forum feed

Gemologist
Premium
join:2001-11-15
USA
kudos:3

3 recommendations

reply to Sweet Witch

Re: [Lens] What lens for jewelry photography?

Jeff dropped me a line.

All you really need for jewelry is a true macro lens, reflectors, and good diffused lighting. If you want the endless white background as most do and also best because colors or even black and gray can artificially enhance the colors of gemstones leading the client astray, shoot on white lexan or plexiglass. A light tent cube deal is going to be easiest way to get started bit in long run you'll find it to restrictive!

Solux PAR bulbs are fantastic. But you will want a set of Ott-Lite 6500K HD daylight cfl bulbs around as well for some of the different gemstones. As well as an incandescent temperature light for any color change pieces. For colorless high dispersion stones like diamonds white(not ones with blue cadts) led lights will help out. They make them in PAR style bulbs now.

FZ35 will likely be your better choice unless doing printed ads 1/4 Page or larger or prints larger than 8x10", then use your other.

But the real key is your lighting! For reflectors white lexan cut into squares does work great. Of course studio lighting is best solution. But the above suggestions are the affordable methods.

Yes, health has not been too good. What little time I've had has been devoted to Gemological things as just had work published by another Gemological Association. I'm working on a huge project as well. I just concluded a big research project into micro crystal inclusions in Welo opal matrix and a lot of micrography, I will post it later for anyone interested. Between that and loading competition rounds for 9mm, 40S&W, and 223/5.56 and practicing, and cutting gemstones, just not been online much. My apologies.
--
Images are Copyrighted and use is NOT
permitted.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Good to see you back, even if only for a bit.

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium
join:2008-01-11
Out There

1 recommendation

reply to Gemologist

said by Gemologist:

Yes, health has not been too good. What little time I've had has been devoted to Gemological things as just had work published by another Gemological Association. I'm working on a huge project as well. I just concluded a big research project into micro crystal inclusions in Welo opal matrix and a lot of micrography, I will post it later for anyone interested. Between that and loading competition rounds for 9mm, 40S&W, and 223/5.56 and practicing, and cutting gemstones, just not been online much. My apologies.

No need to appologize, you take care of yourself first. Glad to hear your keeping busy.