spc
uniqs
mikalares
join:2011-06-01
Erlanger, KY

mikalares to rebus9

to rebus9

Re: Clear Trying to Charge Account Closed 1 Year Ago

Actually folks are saying they're phishing emails, trying to get unknowing customers to respond with information. I don't know. I'm just repeating what I'm reading elsewhere is all.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by mikalares:

Actually folks are saying they're phishing emails, trying to get unknowing customers to respond with information. I don't know. I'm just repeating what I'm reading elsewhere is all.

Let's hope it's a system snafu rather than a phish. If it's a phish attempt, then Clear has been hacked because I create unique email addresses for each separate vendor I use. The only place that email was used is Clear.

Helpful tip of the day: for those who have their own domain name, use aliases to your advantage. Create a unique alias.... biz-name@your-domain.com. When you get spam, look at the "TO" address and you'll immediately know what company was either hacked or sold your email to a 3rd party. You catch them red handed. Plus you can shut off that alias (no more spam to it) without affecting your ability to receive email from everyone else. If you don't have your own domain, it's definitely worth the few bucks a year it takes to register one and host its email.
yedric
join:2001-10-12
Orange Park, FL

yedric

Been doing this for almost 15 years. Works great. You might be surprised to see who ends up with an email address you given to a company that promises never to give it away.

I also received eight of these emails today. Looked at the email source and they appear to be "legitimate", all of the URLs really do point to clear.com.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by yedric:

Been doing this for almost 15 years. Works great. You might be surprised to see who ends up with an email address you given to a company that promises never to give it away.

I recently discovered an online vendor was hacked, possibly before they knew it themselves. I started getting banking-related phishing emails and called the company, only to be met with the telephone equivalent of deer-in-the-headlights blank stare.

Took a while to convince them HOW I knew it could NOT have been any other company on the planet letting that particular email address loose into the wild, but I think they "got it" finally.