spc
uniqs

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Re: [WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

I'm looking at the Performance Monitor and Interrupts per Second are damn near at the top of the graph in Performance Monitor.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

It seems that Flash may be connected to the high DPCs and Interrupt Requests per second. That and a dirty video card.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by trparky:

That and a dirty video card.

There are a whole bunch of straight lines that leads to...

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

I really need to clean the machine out, dust everywhere. I did clean the video card out and with the first pull of the trigger on the can of compressed air and large cloud of dust came out. I need to do the same to the CPU as well since I can see a layer of dust on one of the heat fin assemblies.

I still say that Flash is awful pig that needs to be put down.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

The processing latency issue comes and goes. I can't seem to find a connection between the issues.

As of right now, Interrupts per Second according to Performance Monitor is nearly 10 Million but it's not effecting the performance of the machine. It's as fast as it should be.

It could be fine for several hours and then suddenly start running horribly. I can't seem to find a reason for the issues that I'm having.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

10 million interrupts per second seems like a hell of a lot. If it takes of the order of a few hundred instructions to service an interrupt, that's more than one CPU core's worth.

Are you sure you read that right?

My admittedly fairly idle system is taking around 6 or 7 hundred interrupts/sec.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

said by dave:

10 million interrupts per second seems like a hell of a lot. If it takes of the order of a few hundred instructions to service an interrupt, that's more than one CPU core's worth.

Yes, that's across all eight "cores" of the Core i7 CPU.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

But my point is that consuming one whole core just for interrupt handling is not normal.

Unless you're servicing a lot of non-DMA devices. (Are USB devices DMA? Dunno)

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

I only have a Logitech Keyboard & Mouse receiver (one USB device services them both) and a Logitech web cam. Only two USB devices are plugged into the machine at any one time. It's rare, but sometimes I connect my Android phone to the computer but usually only for short periods of time and I disconnect it when I'm finished.

LatencyMon says that some nVidia driver along with the NDIS, TCP/IP, and USBPORT driver are also part of the problem but it changes depending upon the state of the machine. As you can guess, tracking down which driver is causing this issue has been rather difficult.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

I can't help but to think that somewhere in this system of mine, hardware is failing and that this is a sign of the beginning of the end for it.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

Damn it, I solved the problem. Too bad I had to use the "sledge hammer" method to do so. I reformatted my machine and reinstalled from scratch. Guess what? No issues. No DPC Latency spikes according to DPC Latency Checker v1.3.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Just for comparison, what's the interrupt rate now?

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Click for full size
Interrupts
Screenshot.