how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA
reply to Lamiel

Re: 2.4ghz Parabolic Grid Antenna

I am going to first set up a pole mount that is about the level of my window and see how it does outdoors at that height. If that doesn't work I am going to mount it to the roof of my home that is about 20-25ft off the ground. It still won't be anywhere close to clearing the tops of the trees though.

I drove up to my tower today and had -60 to -70 RSSI from about 1 mile with LOS. I noticed though that I still was getting a lot of ping spikes when pinging, staying stable at ~170ms but every minute or so getting a 1-2000ms spike, signal remained high during these times and I stayed locked in EVDO.

I have calculated the exact distance of the tower at 2.81 miles and have an azimuth heading at 319 degrees for pointing the dish at the tower.

I seen Jim's dish LOS and it looked blocked about the same as mine and his distance and terrain looks pretty similar too.

Just not sure what is up with the antenna so far. Maybe my card has a broken antenna jack? I am hopefully going to be able to set it up for an outdoor run tomorrow.

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA

1 edit

Weather & my time haven't allowed me to put the antenna up outside yet.

Out of nowhere my antenna is getting 2 bars of signal (85 rssi, -94/93 db, -4.50 EC/IO)

This is with my card not being attached to the antenna, just taped to the window with a 6ft USB cable.

Any idea what can cause such jumps in my signal? It hasn't been like this for atleast 3 weeks. My tower is in a pretty rural area as well.

**UPDATE** The burst in signal only lasted about 30 minutes. Very odd, it hasn't been like that in weeks/months. What could be the reason for that boost?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by boondockEVDO:

What could be the reason for that boost?

Loose element on their tower? CDMA Footprint breathing? (larger coverage area the less users) Tower equiptment failure? (I was around 1 sprint tower that stayed 'broken' for over a year before it was fixed ).

If your parabolic were mounted and you had these issues I would have you check all the connections between the card and the antenna... but I suspect your current problem is simply it being too low to focus on a strong point.