spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jakbeatz

join:2012-10-06
Toronto, ON

[Internet] Sagemcom 2864 drops PTR query for RFC1918 addresses?

Over my VPN, my devices at the office are all accessible over RFC1918 address space. It seems as though any PTR query received by the Sagemcom for an RFC1918 address get dropped with no graceful reply back to the host. This causes much grief but used to be less of an issue when the telnet -N switch worked in Mac OS X, but it seems in ML, the -N switch has been removed. The net result is that I can no longer telnet to the IP of any of my work devices without waiting for the DNS query for the PTR to time out.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix or a workaround that anyone is aware of?

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Re: [Internet] Sagemcom 2864 drops PTR query for RFC1918 address

Ive seen this too at home.. that's why i used my own router.. (one of the reasons)
--
Rogers - iPhone 4s 32gb

jakbeatz

Toronto, ON
And what router would that be, pray tell

jakbeatz

Toronto, ON
reply to jakbeatz
In fact, this had nothing to do with the Sagemcom, rater everything to do with Bell's (and Google's) DNS servers, actually.

Statically assigning OpenDNS' name servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) worked just fine.

I had this problem using Google's DNS as well, so I presumed at that point that it was the Sagemcom that was the issue.

Boo to Bell. Boo to Google DNS. Yay to OpenDNS!

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
reply to jakbeatz
Its not bell DNS...

the router I use assign the bell DNS to my devices, and work fine..
The sagemcom, when used as a DHCP, assign 192.168.2.1 as the DNS... there is something wrong in the dns resolver of the sagemcom
--
Rogers - iPhone 4s 32gb