All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor

unlicenced wimax or LTE

Does anyone know if LTE or WiMax can operate in 2.4ghz?

If so, who would you consider to be the equivalent of Ubiquiti in the LTE and WiMax markets from a regional ISP's perspective?

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

LTE and WiMax are merely technologies, but I don't think you'll find anyone manufacturing those very expensive technologies for unlicensed frequencies when they can sell it to the big name licensed providers.
raytaylor

raytaylor

Yeah im waiting for someone to say Huawei but im sure there must at least be a company offering wimax on 2.4ghz for small isp's
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor
Wimax didn't work that well for carriers with licensed frequencies. Why would we want it in an unlicensed form?

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

»encrypted.google.com/sea ··· max+fail
ste0
join:2011-03-22

ste0 to raytaylor

to raytaylor
This will not happen as there is no CPE in 2.4. Better try to get some licensed spectrum. It is difficult to avoid self interference using High Power Basestations. Handling interference with competitors would be a challenge as it is not predictable.
ste0

ste0 to gunther_01

to gunther_01
said by gunther_01:

Wimax didn't work that well for carriers with licensed frequencies. Why would we want it in an unlicensed form?

Wimax works as expected from a technical perspective. Problem is that a lot of expectations and marketing exceeding reality.
Why you may want WiMAX? Think of it as a variation of Wifi built for larger networks.
- GPS Sync
- Partial Channel Usage
- Beamforming
- High Power
But dont expect magic. A 10 Mhz Channel with 64QAM cant deliver more than 50Mbit/s aggregated with optimal conditions. This is the same wether you use wimax,wifi or lte. Existing Wimax gear is limited to 10MHz. So you get higher speeds with wifi doing small cells. But wifi does not scale well. It is built for small cells.
raytaylor

1 edit

raytaylor

haha

Was mainly asking because with whitespace coming up int he next couple of years (NZ just started the switchoff of analog tv)
and i have a couple of very small towns with people i would love to put onto prepay usb wimax sticks

Oh well

fixed wireless / airmax it is then

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to raytaylor

MVM

to raytaylor
In my experience it was the WiMAX networks that tried to do indoor coverage that had issues. At least a couple of Australian providers tried it and failed and blamed the technology.

We on the other hand did fixed outdoor installations only and we had great success with it. We used 3.4 and 3.65GHz bands.
ste0
join:2011-03-22

ste0

said by TomS_:

In my experience it was the WiMAX networks that tried to do indoor coverage that had issues. At least a couple of Australian providers tried it and failed and blamed the technology.

We on the other hand did fixed outdoor installations only and we had great success with it. We used 3.4 and 3.65GHz bands.

With 3.5Ghz it is difficult to get good indoor coverage. High power and short distance is necessary. Additionaly we see equipment is very sensitve to interference. So it is very difficult to get a performant network without a lot of spectrum. Designing the network for outdoor coverage is much easier.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor
Wimax MAC does not do well with contention. So open freq's would not be good