spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vondy

join:2012-10-07
reply to shade45

Re: [TWC] RR Standard with Motorola SB6141 Speed Increase?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to get Time Warner. I purchased the Motorola SB6121 from Amazon after I called TWC to instal my cable. The guy on the phone said any cable Docsis 3.0 modem would work. Well apparently that was not the case when the installer showed up. He installed the TWC modem and I spent the rest of the day on the phone trying to figure out what to do.

Turns out the Motorola SB6141 and the SBG6580 are the only two in Texas that are "certified". Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it. The SBG6580 is available but I don't need the WIFI because I already have an airport extreme.

What do you guys think? Wait around for the 6141 to become available, if ever, or get the wifi version and eat the extra cost.

Oh and to make matters worse, my wife threw away the box for the 6141 so I doubt Amazon is going to take it back.

Anyway, at least my internet is now about 5-10 times faster than my AT&T DSL.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

my wife threw away the box for the 6141 so I doubt Amazon is going to take it back.

You can try making the same "mistake" on the phone...

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to vondy

said by vondy:

Turns out the Motorola SB6141 and the SBG6580 are the only two in Texas that are "certified". Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it. The SBG6580 is available but I don't need the WIFI because I already have an airport extreme.

I bought one from these guys a couple weeks ago when they were still $99. Although you can find a few auctions in the $150 range, at this point unless you're on the Extreme or Ultimate tier you're better off getting a cheap D2 modem and holding off on the 6141 for a few months.

/M

jeblis

join:2012-10-08
Austin, TX
reply to vondy

said by vondy:

Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it.

They had them in stock last Thursday for $120. There's just a surge in demand right now. You may need to pay the rental fee for a month or two until they are available again.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to vondy

You can always bridge the 6580 to act like a modem if you can't get another brand of modem (The 6580s had terrible firmware issues for a while). There's other versions, most newer model gateway modems have a way to bridge them.

ML53217

@rr.com
reply to vondy

I got my SB6141 thru Amazon. I just installed it with tier 3- over the phone and chat - It took them two hours - so be prepared. Also, Amazon has pretty good return policy, they even pay UPS shipping back.