spc
uniqs
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

manually or automatic

I been struggling on if I should let my software update automatically or do it manually.

What option do you take? Both have advantages and disadvantages. Not everything can be automatically updated either.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by 90115534:

I been struggling on if I should let my software update automatically or do it manually.

I don't let any software update automatically. All automatic updates are disabled.

I prefer to get, and keep, the full installers for all software (in case of re-install, new-install etc) and I get them when new versions are announced. I also prefer to update on my schedule (and knowledge) vs the vendors (and updaters).
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

Good to know. Can I ask why ?

StuartMW
Premium Member

3 edits

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

I prefer to get, and keep, the full installers for all software (in case of re-install, new-install etc) and I get them when new versions are announced. I also prefer to update on my schedule (and knowledge) vs the vendors (and updaters).

Also I like to know what an update is for before I install. The problem these days is that vendors often don't put out release notes at the same time as updates (are you listening Adobe?).

BTW Microsoft is also guilty of this. I don't know how many times I've looked at a Windows update and clicked on the KB article URL only to get a "not found". Geez, how hard is it to coordinate this stuff?

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to 90115534

Mod

to 90115534
I have Windows set to notify me when updates are available, but to neither update nor install automatically.

This is partly because I don't run Windows full time. I'm mostly a linux person. Automatic updates depend on the system running Windows in the wee small hours.

On my laptop, there's an additional reason. The last thing I want is to be unable to shut the system down and to have to miss the plane because Windows is doing updates. If an update becomes available when travelling, I would normally prefer to wait till I am back home before installing.

On linux, I disable the update notifier, and manually check for updates every few days.

Does this make me a control freak?
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by StuartMW:

Also I like to know what an update is for before I install. The problem these days is that vendors often don't put out release notes at the same time as updates (are you listening Adobe?).

BTW Microsoft is also guilty of this. I don't know how many times I've looked at a Windows update and clicked on the KB article URL only to get a "not found". Geez, how hard is it to coordinate this stuff?

Agreed.

90115534 (banned) to nwrickert

to nwrickert
No but thanks for asking.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

Does this make me a control freak?

No no no Just a type-A personality

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

I don't let any software update automatically. All automatic updates are disabled.

+1 This is the only way to go! Certainly don't want updates occurring when you are in the middle of something.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
I don't use automatic updates at all. I prefer to keep control over my computers and know what may cause a problem when it happens. When something goes wrong at least I know where to look at. Additionally as a rule of keeping computer secure I don't allow applications to connect to the Internet whenever they pleased to. As a result I don't need to run any antivirus software and keep computer virus-free for many years...

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
My two-cents view is that folks who barely understand the innards of computers are best served by using auto-updating, simply because that's the only way they'll ever approach keeping software updated and reasonably free of exploits. Those of us who dig deeper and have a handle on what goes on inside the digital beasts are better served by manually installing updates.

Sometimes updates themselves cause problems, especially when interacting with other software. The likelihood of that occurring, I believe, increases with the kinds and amount of specialty software used by folks who tinker or go the extra mile to increase their system's security, customizeability, and/or controllabilty. Which means there's often a lesser chance of auto-update problems occurring for an unknowledgeable user, and a higher chance for a power-type user. In any case, by manually installing updates, a user at least has an opportunity to check around first for others who are experiencing problems with a new update... I've saved myself a lot of grief over the years in just this way. The flip side of this is that the user does have to take the time to follow through, investigate, and run his manual updates. The only thing I auto-update are my AV signatures... and I do spend some quality time manually updating the other things - but that also acts to keep me more in touch with my system.

A good rule of thumb is if you know enough to ask this kind of question, then you stand a good chance of being better served by manually updating.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
Prefer manual downloading/installing of updates. I too like to keep a lot of the installers, deleting the old ones as I go along. I also like to look around and make sure there are no major problems with an update before I install it.

However, as Blackbird See Profile mentioned above, there are a lot of people who are better served by allowing automatic updates.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Blackbird

Mod

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

My two-cents view is that folks who barely understand the innards of computers are best served by using auto-updating, simply because that's the only way they'll ever approach keeping software updated and reasonably free of exploits.

Yes, I completely agree with that.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to 90115534

MVM

to 90115534
My thoughts are like Blackbird's. I also have found that even though there are updates for some things, you don't always have to do so. With some things, if it ain't broke, don't break it. An update can do that, and in most cases, there's no way to tell what broke your computer if things update automatically. If done manually, you can pretty much tell what caused a problem, or at least have a chance.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
As with the others, I prefer manual. Most programs are blocked from the net without asking to connect via my SW FW as well.