Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yoyomhz

join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to urbanriot

Re: Organic Food.. same as non organic?

there is an extremely easy way to know if one tomato is more nutritious than another tomato.

If both tomatos look perfect on the outside, but one of those tomatos will sit on your table for seven days without any rotting, without going bad at all, and if another tomato will immedaitely start to deteriorate, the first one has good internal quality, and it's more nutritious. That's how you know. Too much chemical fertilizer = less nutritious. Poor internal quality and sprayed with fungicide to make it look good on the outside = less nutritious.

Another way (for fruit) is by taste. Fruit picked green is less nutritious. Fruit picked over ripe is less nutritious. Fruit loses nutrition eveyr day it sits around, so fruit that was picked yesterday is more nutritious. and, fruit that tastes better is more nutritious. I've tasted organic oranges, picked at the perfect time, that were so good, I ate five of them without stopping. I've also bought giant sized commercially grown oranges that looked good on the outside and had no taste whatsoever. Those are not nutritious.

So if you have found the food you've bought at farmers markets, organic, to be good tasting - great, it's nutritious. Every time you buy something that tastes like crap, like cheap hybrid seedless watermelons, you know it's not very nutritious.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Hah, I heard a program recently that discussed a new book on tomatoes and it was said that the most popular tomatoes, the tomatoes we find in grocery stores, are mostly based on one strain that received a genetic mutation allowing them to redden by the time they hit stores... and they're one of the worst tasting tomatoes out there; however the best tasting tomatoes don't look as great or last as long on shelves, so regular people think of tomatoes as the 'bad tomatoes'.

CBC article with more depth here - »www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story···ste.html

I think NPR reviewed the aforementioned book I'm referring to, called Tomatoland, "How Industrial Farming 'Destroyed' The Tasty Tomato" - »www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137371975···y-tomato

I'm starting to sound like yoyo :/

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

They do taste awful.

I have notices lately the much of the out-of-season (imported fruit) never ripens correctly, it rots from the inside out before its ripe, and yes they also taste bad as well.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

Hah, I heard a program recently that discussed a new book on tomatoes and it was said that the most popular tomatoes, the tomatoes we find in grocery stores, are mostly based on one strain that received a genetic mutation allowing them to redden by the time they hit stores... and they're one of the worst tasting tomatoes out there; however the best tasting tomatoes don't look as great or last as long on shelves, so regular people think of tomatoes as the 'bad tomatoes'.

I'm going to miss my backyard tomatoes. I've started covering the cherry tomatoes on the patio. If it stays reasonably mild I've found I can get tomatoes into early November. Last year I think it was late November, but this year I don't think it will be as good. I just need to remember to fill the reservoir (they're in one of those pots that holds 5 or 7 L of water in the bottom).

booj

join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

said by A Lurker:

I'm going to miss my backyard tomatoes. I've started covering the cherry tomatoes on the patio. If it stays reasonably mild I've found I can get tomatoes into early November. Last year I think it was late November, but this year I don't think it will be as good. I just need to remember to fill the reservoir (they're in one of those pots that holds 5 or 7 L of water in the bottom).

Good show. Some of mIy tomato plants are still flowering, it's been a great year for them with the hot summer. Accidentally, I did grow of couple of 'supermarket' variety tomato plants, that sprung out of my compost heap. Even fresh off the vine they tasted like cardboard.