Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

1 recommendation

reply to EdmundGerber

Re: [iPhone] Foxconn's iPhone plant "paralyzed" as tho

Yes because it is 100% in Apple's control to fix the entire human rights culture in China. Apple does more than anyone else to ensure their workers are treated in a more civil fashion than other tech companies.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Count Zero:

Yes because it is 100% in Apple's control to fix the entire human rights culture in China. Apple does more than anyone else to ensure their workers are treated in a more civil fashion than other tech companies.

Problem is, that Apple does not directly control the process or the treatment of workers.

Like it or not, they are just like WalMart, they tell Foxconn what they want to pay, and Foxconn makes it happen, workers rights be damned.

Since its highly unlikely that Apple could ever bring production back to America, they could at least try to build a factory in China (or somewhere else with cheap labour), but they could at least have complete oversight of the process. If they care about it, as much as they say they do...

My 2 cents.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

said by HiVolt:

said by Count Zero:

Problem is, that Apple does not directly control the process or the treatment of workers.

Like it or not, they are just like WalMart, they tell Foxconn what they want to pay, and Foxconn makes it happen, workers rights be damned.

Since its highly unlikely that Apple could ever bring production back to America, they could at least try to build a factory in China (or somewhere else with cheap labour), but they could at least have complete oversight of the process. If they care about it, as much as they say they do...

My 2 cents.

»www.quora.com/What-would-be-the-···n-the-US
$20 more for US, apparently. Yeah.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

said by JohnInSJ:

I don't buy that...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

said by HiVolt:

said by JohnInSJ:

I don't buy that...

So let's say it's three times that. Would you buy $60 more?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
reply to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

It doesn't sound like it, from all the news reports about human rights abuses happening over there. Usually around the time of another iLaunch

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

Well you don't hear shit about anyone else's launches period so who really knows. Probably not that hard to build 100,000 galaxy tabs compared to the 50,000 daily iPads...

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to JohnInSJ

I actually might - but then again I only buy New Balance or SAS shoes because they're made in the US. My Subaru was assembled in Indiana (with a fair percentage of American parts), things like my All-Clad pots and pans were made in the US (except for their lids which were made in China) and the new furniture I bought for my living room last year was made not far from me in NC (and some in OR). But I'm not "most people" and if my own financial situation tightens up my willingness to pay a little extra would be out the window too.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

My 2 cents.

They could put a factory in South Africa... Lots of suddenly-unemployed platinum miners to hire. Oh, my bad, the Chinese beat us to South Africa... Bummer.

In China, the iSlaves are revolting... Maaah, they're heading right for us!!
--
"Heaven is having an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III